Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default TIG brazing

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 14:37:49 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

snip
For manifold repair Braze is often insufficient due to operating
temperatures. I like to pre-heat then tig with stainless steel wire.
Drilling a small hole at the end of the crack if not cracked through
helps keep the crack from running away on you as you chase it with the
weld

Yeah, I haven't had to try repairing one but what you mention
concerning the heat produced in a working manifold has crossed my mind.

I welded a small cast part for my neighbor with Forney Noma-Cast rod.
Looked like crap but held together for a couple years. He sold it
recently, so I don't have to worry about re-welding it again

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI