Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default TIG brazing

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 09:49:45 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 22:34:31 -0600
"Larry Fisk" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
Miller has a useful, short article on TIG brazing with silicon bronze
up on their website:

http://tinyurl.com/y6xhcxa4

It's worth knowing about.

--
Ed Huntress

I just tig brazed a cracked swivel base on an old athol vise that was
cracked badly
used alum bronze. Rod flows really well on cast iron
preheated and used a pretty long arc and a sharp tungsten
100 amps max with a pedal
AC with the ac balance maxed out.
Used alum cause Jody at welding tips said it shrinks less.
Did seem to pull quite a bit but short beads and cooled in a bucket of sand
overnite.

Jody has some really good TIG brazing videos. Another guy I watch is on
instagram, icweld. Usually it is heavy duty 7018 stick stuff but he has
some interesting cast brazing too. Here is a manifold repair:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhM6vPml2v2/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhM6Ziel_rX/

For manifold repair Braze is often insufficient due to operating
temperatures. I like to pre-heat then tig with stainless steel wire.
Drilling a small hole at the end of the crack if not cracked through
helps keep the crack from running away on you as you chase it with the
weld - - - - -
and this one started out as a stick repair but he ended up torch
brazing it after cracking trouble:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRLOhuBIPp/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRQiTcBMnm/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRgLw3h-Za/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRpveUhAP7/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLR1KS4hgkV/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLSea7nh7YT/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLSlqYgBhLL/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLTe571BES7/

I like how he used a portable heater to warm up the casting beforehand.
Didn't work out this time but something that maybe helpful to try
someday ...