Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windscreen and dashboard suckers

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 16:01:55 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

The dashcam is mounted slightly behind the RV mirror and doesn't eat
into the visible windscreen too much.

Same here, tucked up behind the lefthand end of the interior mirror.
On a lever action sucker mount that hasn't fallen off that I can
remember. Clean the screen, clean the sucker, bit of spit, position,
press hard, operate lever.

I also set my phone to divert all calls and autorespond with a text when
I am driving.

A casual glance on roads and forums suggests I'm in a minority of a
minority. I guess safe driving is overrated these days ....

Phone connects to the cars Bluetooth, if a call comes in I ignore it
if it's a number/call I'm not expecting so ends up in voice mail.
Texts are read out to me and I can voice reply to them if required
(provided mobile data is good enough, needs 4G really).

Driving is slowly being "de-skilled". In a modern automatic all you
*need* to be able to do is select D, press the go and stop pedals as
required and steer, indicators are useful for other road users but
even the use of those is gaining some magical property that enables
the driver of a car using indicators to blindly go where they want
regardless of any other road users. The only addition in a manual is
changing gear. Hill starts - automatic, lights - automatic (though
they get foggy but bright conditions wrong and "helpfully" turn your
lights off, or at least mine do).

I notice that the term "autonomous" has also been quietly dropped in
favour of "driverless". Have they decided that a truely autonomous
car is actually too difficult and they'll fudge it by allowing
vehicles to "talk" to each other? Still doesn't help with the tricky
problem of a ball bouncing out from a gate, will it be followed by
small child hidden by the hedge/fence either side of the gate. Or
even is it a ball in the first place...

--
Cheers
Dave.