Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default Quinetic switch review

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 14:31:00 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Interesting devices. I've now got a 2-gang switch and two receivers -
one for the ceiling light and one for the wall lights.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Quinetic/Quinetic/index.html

I was pleased to find there is no delay whatsoever; I thought there
might be a noticeable fraction of a second, but that isn't the case. So
overall it does what it says on the tin, but there are some points for
consideration. In particular, somehow I got the gangs out of
synchronisation, so one was on when the top was pressed, the other on
when the bottom was pressed! This might be due to turning on and off too
quickly, or maybe an interfering signal confused the receiver.

Annoyingly, there is no through connection on the receiver for earth, so
a crimp or block is needed if the light fitting has to be earthed.
Secondly, as the switch came it was press the top to turn on the light,
press bottom to switch off. This seems a bit strange in the UK, and, as
far as I can see, the switch can't be mounted upside-down. The outer
frame has "Quinetic" printed on it for a start, which would look a bit
odd upside-down. However, the actual switch itself can be inverted in
the outer frame, except that the metal fixing plate only goes on one
way, and the switch might be loose if mounted upside-down. There is a
way round this, as the switch sends an identical signal for on and off.
To get the switch for top on or bottom on, or to get the gangs back in
sync, make sure the lights are off, then take the switch out of range of
the receiver, and set it the way you want it to be off. On returning,
and in range, it should then work correctly.

Finally, if you are going to use the Quinetic switch to replace a wired
switch faceplate screwed to a pattress you will need to purchase an
adapter plate so the Quinetic switch can be screwed to the pattress.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QURCP.html

It's a bad design if ON and OFF codes are the same. Interference
occurring during an ON or OFF would reverse subsequent switchings.
--
Dave W