Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default 'Like a Ferrari, you don't need it' - New Zealanders set to turnin guns

On 4/5/2019 10:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/05/2019 12:37 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/4/2019 9:52 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/04/2019 06:58 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 18:08:01 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

It would be as easy to make a bolt action into a "blowback" machine
gun as most semi autos that were not first designed as machine guns.

* Now that would take a Real Machinist ! I have a small machine shop
and I know where to get the plans to make a couple of different arms
into full autos . But that $250,000 fine and ten years in prison is a
pretty good deterrent . Especially since I don't have any arms that
can
be easily converted - and have less than zero need for one . I
prefer to
do my work with bolt actions at a slightly longer distance ... Rock
chucks at 400 meters anyone ?

I prefer just a six shot revolver.* It goes bang every time and won't
jam with brass at ejection.

Unless you're Jerry Miculek there is a bit of a pause between bang 6
and bang 7.* Unless you've got one of those fancy Smith 627s of
course. The first time I saw someone shooting one of those there was a
WTF? moment at bang 7.

I always assumed I was slow to reload because I'm left handed but then
I realized right handed people do a juggling act too.

I prefer my revolver to my semi as I reload and it is a pain to pickup
ejected brass.

Winter and mud season makes revolvers and .22's very attractive.

https://www.natchezss.com/caldwell-brass-retriever.html

A guy at the pistol club had one of those. It didn't work very well on a
pistol bay with grass, rocks, and so on. It certainly doesn't work when
the brass melts its way into 2' of snow. I've used a tarp to catch most
of the cases and went back in the spring for the rest if someone else
didn't get there first.

I've seen those before but nobody at club that I know of uses one. I
carry one of those grabbers to pick up brass so I don't have to stoop
too much.