Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

On Saturday, April 6, 2019 at 9:29:08 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 4/1/2019 10:03 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/29/2019 7:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm still trying to learn things about my planer....

I need to plane some poplar down by no more than 1/32". However, the
boards
are already cut to length and have tenons on the ends. (Don't ask)

I really want to avoid any snipe on these boards so I'm thinking of using
the Sacrificial Board technique. Here's my idea:

Cut a groove in the sacrificial board, insert the tenons in the
groove, and
run it all through the planer. With the setup shown below, I can
easily run
4 boards through at one time. (I'm only showing 2 in this example) My
only
concern is that the sacrificial board(s) will be planed cross grain.

https://i.imgur.com/s3bxz1G.jpg

From a safety perspective, is there any reason I shouldn't try this?

Yes, I know I could do the same thing with a sacrificial board running
with the grain, but I'm sure this question will start an interesting
discussion, as usual.

Typically snipe happens because of the play in the cutter head. Or the
material is not PERFECTLY flat.
I always lifted the board a bit as it entered the planer and again on
the out feed side I lifted the end of the board as the material exited
the planer.

Typically, it happens because of the feed rollers. Only one roller
apples pressure at the beginning and end of the cut, creating uneven
pressure. You can tell because the snipe is always the length of the
distance of the in feed/out feed rollers from the blades. Lifting the
work piece at the beginning and end of cut tends to offset this somewhat.

To eliminate the problem is difficult, and best done by allowing room to
cut off the sniped ends. If that is a problem, then run sacrificial
boards. If that is a problem, then cutting at an angle can reduce the
length of the snipe as the board will be supported a bit more through
the feed rollers.

--
Jack