montana

Default Bathroom Renovation questions

In article ,
"Gunner" wrote:

Comments inserted

"George Macomber" wrote in message
I should not cost much more than 4k. Look
the bathtub and flooring probally 1000
for materials.

A jaccuzi and flooring for a grand? Give me the name of your supplier, and
please don't say HD.

another 500 for sink and
other hard ware

Sink & tub faucets should be no _less_ than $350 total, or you're buying
junk. So that leaves $100 for bowl & vanity and misc. plumbing. Get real!

and probally 2 days work
for a skilled handyman.

George, wake up! A total gut job and redo with additonal wiring and
alteration in 2 days? Not on this earth, and you can't put 10 guys in a
bathroom to do the job.

hell dont let people over charge you
up the ass... .
since when do carpenters make 100 dollars
and hour

Average carpenter rate in this area is $22.36 per hr. Plus you have workers
comp., tools, insurance, vehicles, social security tax towards carpenter and
whatever benefits. You come real close to $100 per hr to make any profit for
a company.

We've gotten into the "bathroom of Doom" scenario where, when the
bathroom was gutted we found many bad things having to do with the
ceiling/floor for the 3rd floor bathroom (no solid joists), no proper
venting, galvanized pipes that were at death's door, a cast iron drain
pipe at death's door, a leaking shower pan... All this stuff's fairly
typical in a house that's 76 years old.

Our home insurance is going to pay for a little bit of what happened
after a leak was discovered, but we're going to be paying about 8k for
the fixes. One of the reasons we're paying 8k instead of 15k is because
I spent many hours searching out the best prices for stuff, from the
shower plumbing pieces parts to the new faucet for the footed 3rd floor
tub. We're even getting a new window. It has taken me days of work, when
you add up all the hours.

The contractor was too busy to do the work last year, but that delay
really helped us in the long run, no matter how inconvenient it was.

When you open up walls (where we live) you have to bring everything up
to code, which also means old knob & tube wiring must be replaced.

Gunner's advice is right on the money.

And if I had to replace stuff in a bathroom above a kitchen & the
kitchen, I'd work from the top down. I'd hate to have a ceiling fall
into my new kitchen.