Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default cd iso9660 + udf or joliet

On 03 Apr 2019, Isidore Goresky wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I want to burn a CD (700MB) for an old 2002 car cd player for a
friend. I have about 30 MP3 files (150MB).

ImgBurn is asking to choose between iso9660 udf or joilet.

Which do I pick?

I assume you want to burn the MP3s as data files, not as an audio CD.
Audio CDs have a time limit of about 80 minutes, so 30 songs aren't
likely to fit.

Are you sure his car player will play MP3s? Back then many of them
would only play audio CDs. My 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis will only play
audio CDs. It will not play a data disc full of MP3s. Since you mention
in your later post that your first attempt didn't work, I suspect his
player is like mine and will NOT play MP3s.

As I recall, ISO9660 only supports old DOS-style 8+3 file names. It
will truncate any long names to fit that, but it will keep the
extension (.mp3). Joliet supports long names. Some players may not
support long names, but most modern ones will. Pretty much all data
disk readers will read ISP9660 disks. Most will read Joliet format. UDF
is, I think, used mostly for video.

If you can trim your playlist down to, say, 78 minutes or so, you might
be best off burning an audio disk of it. His car player is almost
certain to play that.