Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

On 3/31/2019 5:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 6:40:43 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 3/31/2019 4:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Really? How about just living without a jointer?

A) Ayup.
B) Not if were going to do large-piece ww'ing, no.

Define large piece. Beds? Bookcases? Base cabinets? Benches? BTDT

Anything over what I want to do with hand tools.

I use almost all roughsawn stock and reclaim a lot of old material as
well. It may or more often will not start out with a surface in plane.

I don't have the patience to mess with planing sleds and such gyrations
as you went thru recently so I'll either have or make room or I'll do
something different...

I've really regretted leaving the 12" Crescent in TN and only bringing
the 8" Rockwell/Delta back to KS. However, almost 50 yr ago I began w/
a little old Craftsman 6" though, that could have been made to work as a
benchtop.