Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

On 3/30/2019 6:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 2:38:35 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

2) jointer

Don't have one, not going to buy one.

Can't do without...

Sorry, I gotta call BS on that one. Newsgroups, forums, youtube, magazines,
etc. are filled with the line "If you don't have a jointer..." followed by
a workaround. There are thousands of woodworkers that have built lots
of stuff without a jointer. I've built beds, bookcases, base cabinets, a
cribbage board or three, benches, night stands, a kitchen island, an
entertainment center, etc, etc. all without a jointer.

When you don't have room, you do it some other way or on very occasions,
find someone to do it for you. You can certainly do without. Thousands of
us do.

You were from your POV, I was from mine...if it were me, I'd make the
room...if you want to continue to struggle, so be it; your call.

Now that I'm back at it, I've discovered that some of the boards are thicker
than others. A rookie mistake 5 years ago, but I didn't have a planer at the
time anyway. Now I do, and I think I can fix the problem as I dry fit each
door and determine how much, if any needs to be planed off.

If you at least cut the grooves/tenons from the same side, just go ahead
and assemble and then take the finished doors to a pro to run them
through the sander...