Posted to alt.home.repair
Jac Brown Jac Brown is offline

Default Getting a damaged screw out

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 09:12:18 +1100, "Jac Brown"
wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 14:09:05 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Jac Brown posted for all of us...

Got one of these
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mcpg949t9..._2208.JPG?dl=0
with a badly damaged philips screw head which I can't get out of here.
https://youtu.be/XlYNf101RJ0?t=56

The thing is entirely plastic in two parts. I don't care about
wrecking
the
whole screw and what it goes into because I am happy to replace it.

I'd normally just grab the head with some mole grips etc but
cant get the screw unscrewed enough to get a grip on the head,
No easy access to cut a slot in the head and use a flat screw driver.
Guess it might be feasible with a dremel with a cutting disk. I have
both.

My initial thought was a screw extractor/easy out but the don't really
go small enough. The threaded part is only 5.5mm thick. The smallest
screw extractor is listed as 3mm which might well work with a hole
drilled into where the philips slots used to be.

The other possibility is to glue a plastic rod to the head but I don't
have a rod of the same plastic and there is no obvious way to work
out what the plastic is to order a rod of the same plastic and glue.
Is one particular type of plastic normally used on those things ?

I guess superglue and metal rod might work.

Any other alternative I might be having a brain fart about before

I order the smallest screw extractor ?

Not urgent, there is some problem with the windscreen washer
bottle that means it holds very little water but its fine to do
without a washer for a month or two while the extractor arrives.

Jam a small screwdriver or pick under the screw head while turning the
screw
or do a reacharound and clip it off with a dyke.
You do not NEED to thread it out. Just get a pick under the head and
pry it out. They are not threaded in at the factory - they are
inserted like a "push pin"

These ones arent, what the screw screws into is threaded at the
screw head end and head of the screw is recessed into that so
you cant just cut the head off and drive the body of the screw
thru with a drift.

And the screw wasn't driven in either, the whole thing
goes thru an 8mm hole in a small tab in the body metal
of the front quarter guard and that doesn't have the
strength to retain the outer while you drive the screw
in when the car was made. Its clearly screwed in.

Trust me -

No thanks.

I've installed and removed hundreds of them

Not in this car in this position in the car you havent.

and the way they go in is put the screwdriver tip into the philips
recess on the "screw" and swat the end of the screwdriver.

Not possible in this case because that would bend the
small metal tab that the thing the screw screws into
goes into. And no way to put anything behind that
tab to stop it being bent because that is behind the
plastic cover panel that the device hold onto the car.

Mabe half a turn at the end to snug it up. Trying
to tighten them too much strips the head out.

Doesn't take much to pull the threaded portion out

There is when the screw head is recessed
and the philips socket is damaged enough
so it isnt possible to screw it out even a little.

but easier to just drill the head off and
drive it through with a pin-punch.

That wont work either, because again, that will just bend
the small metal tab that the whole thing goes into.

With the "screw" out of it, it pulls right out.

Yes.

We called them "scrivets"

Yes, but they arent all identical on the question
of whether the screw screws in or is punched in.