Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Dimensions in CAD with fractions.

On 3/25/2019 5:12 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Maybe the points were manually "digitized" from a paper print.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet
"It can also be used to trace an image from a piece of paper which is
taped or otherwise secured to the tablet surface."

"These digitizers were... bundled with PCs and PC-based CAD software
like AutoCAD."

I think the files were generated from some kind of art program, maybe
Corel Draw. The customer was a UWM art dept prof who knew little about
manufacturing. He wanted the finished project for an industrial show,
but he kept modifying what he wanted just before we thought we were
ready to cut metal. His changes meant we went way over what we had
quoted. No one was happy.

The geometry was so bad that I ended using their CAD for reference only
as I redrew what they showed and made something I could use to produce
programs for our LASERs.

---
https://www.avg.com