Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dimensions in CAD with fractions.

My company occasionally receives customer CAD files that have all or
most dimensions in inch fractions. What puzzles me is that when I
convert the fractions to decimal inches, the actual values turn out to
be only approximations of the fractions.

On one drawing, there was a line of holes regularly spaced and
dimensioned fractionally from one end. Based on the fractions, the
spacing seemed to be 6-11/32" hole to hole. After I converted the
fractions to decimal, the location of each hole from the end was not an
exact decimal equivalent and the hole to hole spacing was from 6.3405 to
6.3445". The distances didn't get progressively longer, just wandered
around the decimal equivalent of 6-11/32".

In another case on the same drawing, several hole diameters were given
as 1/8", yet changing it to decimal showed one line of holes to be .173"
and another on the same part .117".

Why does this happen? How do you input 1/8" and get something other than
..125"?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" fired this volley in news:kpbaf301fl7
@news1.newsguy.com:

Why does this happen? How do you input 1/8" and get something other

than
.125"?

I've never seen a CAD that screwed up things that badly. Usually, it's a
matter of setting the decimal precision for the app. If you call out to
two places, and use fraction conversions, they'll never be right.

But if you call out to three places, enter 1/8" and get something other
than 0.125, then you have a very very defective chunk of junkware.

Note that many 'normal' fractional sizes go out to five places right of
the decimal (that last place usually is a '5').

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message ...

[...]

If you don't mind my asking, and of course I have no intention of trying to
tell you your business, but is the intention for you to use those CAD files
to run a CNC machine? Or are you getting a *drawing* that was created on a
CAD system.

If it's intended to be CNC input, I see that you (and your customer!) have a
serious problem with the customer's input. You just won't get a good part.
But if it's a drawing, as I understand things isn't it your responsibility
to work from the callouts and not try to scale from the drawing? I'm no
machinist, but the machinists to whom I give CAD drawings in DXF format for
prototyping or one-off production refuse to scale from the drawing, but
instead work exclusively from the called-out dimensions. Which is good,
because sometimes I purposefully put out-of-scale dimensions on the drawing
(and this is a specific answer to your how does it happen question), which I
do, in TurboCad anyway, by merely clicking on the dimension on the screen,
and just editing the dimension to whatever I've decided to change it to. If
I change my mind about a hole size, I might just for instance change a 1/8D
typ. to a 3/16D typ., without bothering to redraw the circles to a different
size, if I even actually put circles on the drawing instead of just crosses.

I use TurboCad myself, most of the time. When you tell the thing how
"fractional" you want the dimensions to be displayed at (16ths, 32nds, etc.)
the software rounds the displayed dimension to the nearest such fraction
even if the actual decimal dimension isn't exact (this behavior is a design
flaw in my opinion). I have to set it to snap to the fractional dimension in
order for the points or lines or whatever to lie right on the correct
decimal equivalent.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
My company occasionally receives customer CAD files that have all or
most dimensions in inch fractions. What puzzles me is that when I
convert the fractions to decimal inches, the actual values turn out
to be only approximations of the fractions.
Why does this happen? How do you input 1/8" and get something other
than .125"?

David

It may be an accumulation of rounding errors. I've had to manually
reconstruct the intended location of features dimensioned as two-place
decimals obviously converted from fractions, 0.62" for instance, and
make sure the sum of dimensions equalled the (ref) length of the part.
That was trial-and-error detective work.

A friend at Saco did that for the 50 cal machine gun that John
Browning originally dimensioned to 1/128".

It's helped to learn the fractional and metric conversions, so I
recognize that the 0.434" I measured on an old South Bend part the
other day was 7/16" minus a production tolerance, or 0.that 470" means
12mm.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:23:30 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

[...]

I can think of any number of ways to get that behavior, depending on
the software. The most obvious is that the drafter placed the features
by eye and the dims are rounded to the nearest 1/32. Or they were
arrayed or placed on a grid and then unintentionally disturbed
slightly.

Are the drawings 2D cad drawings, or drawing views of a 3D model
generated by a parametric modeller like Solidworks or Inventor?

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R. Birch wrote:

My company occasionally receives customer CAD files that have all or
most dimensions in inch fractions. What puzzles me is that when I
convert the fractions to decimal inches, the actual values turn out to
be only approximations of the fractions.

On one drawing, there was a line of holes regularly spaced and
dimensioned fractionally from one end. Based on the fractions, the
spacing seemed to be 6-11/32" hole to hole. After I converted the
fractions to decimal, the location of each hole from the end was not an
exact decimal equivalent and the hole to hole spacing was from 6.3405 to
6.3445". The distances didn't get progressively longer, just wandered
around the decimal equivalent of 6-11/32".

You have to carry the decimal fraction to 5 places to keep roundoff
error from accumulating.
In another case on the same drawing, several hole diameters were given
as 1/8", yet changing it to decimal showed one line of holes to be .173"
and another on the same part .117".

Why does this happen? How do you input 1/8" and get something other than
.125"?

I think you need to learn your CAD software better. Someting is just wrong,
and I can't believe it is that broken. One possibility is this is a
graphical CAD package, and the only data actually stored in the drawing
is the LINES. The lines as shown on the screen are only approximations
of the true data, smashed to fit onto the pixels of your screen. If it
then makes dimensions off the on-screen representation, that would
explain everything. This would not be considered a CAD package by
most people, but a "DRAWING" package. Trying to use it for precision
manufacturing drawings or the production of CAM data would be a big
mistake.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" on Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:23:30 -0500
[...]

depends on if you have small values of .125 and large values of
1/8"

Or more exactly - precision of the actual dimension is enough to
generally fit into the 1/8" spec.
Alternatively, the drawing may "read" 1/8", but the actual
dimension is something else. (I know I can override dimensions in
AutoCAD, so that a dimension showing on screen/paper is correct, but
the measurement isn't.)

Thirdly, you may have a conversion error somewhere along the way,
from when they converted the measurement into fractional inches, to
how it was stored in the file, to how it is converted into the CAD s/w
you use.

David

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:16:31

It may be an accumulation of rounding errors. I've had to manually
reconstruct the intended location of features dimensioned as two-place
decimals obviously converted from fractions, 0.62" for instance, and
make sure the sum of dimensions equalled the (ref) length of the part.
That was trial-and-error detective work.

We was told that some drawings will have .13 (etc) where it is
actually .125 "but everyone knows that" and the dimension precision is
held to 0.00 because it is cheaper than 0.000.

A friend at Saco did that for the 50 cal machine gun that John
Browning originally dimensioned to 1/128".

Yikes.

It's helped to learn the fractional and metric conversions, so I
recognize that the 0.434" I measured on an old South Bend part the
other day was 7/16" minus a production tolerance, or 0.that 470" means
12mm.

12mm =.472 - they're cheating, again.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/12/2013 10:23 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

As others have said, I think that the displayed dimensions have been
added manually, rather than reflect how the objects were put down. The
design was probably down by a that-looks-about-right approach and then
the dimensions added manually, rather than asking the CAD app to display
what it has in its data base/file.

So, when you "... [changed] it to decimal ...", the CAD goes to it's
data & displays it in decimal. It doesn't convert the manually added
dimension. If you now went back and changed it to fractions it would
show the fractional value of its data (e.g. 3/16 for .173), _not_ the
1/8. The 1/8 is a "note" that is gone (unless UNDO can bring it back) -
I hope you have a copy of the original file.

As to the 6-11/32 dimension: what do you mean that it "seemed" to be
that? Was it called out/dimensioned that or what? Again, like the 1/8
hole, when you convert to decimal, the program goes back to the design
data, which may or may not be 6-11/32

You need to clarify this mode of communication with your customer. It
seems as though he is using the CAD file for its display value. I.e.,
he expects you to print it out & build to the drawing. In which case
you would have to convert the fractions to decimal independently of the
CAD program and add them to the drawing. Or, if you need a file for
CNC, build it from scratch, using the fractions as shown on his original
drawing.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:16:31

It's helped to learn the fractional and metric conversions, so I
recognize that the 0.434" I measured on an old South Bend part the
other day was 7/16" minus a production tolerance, or that 0 470"
[typo fixed] means 12mm.

12mm =.472 - they're cheating, again.

pyotr filipivich

0.470" as measured. I didn't have to deal with pre-CNC metric
drawings, only figure out whether optical bench and electronic
equipment had been made inch or metric. 8, 11, 14, 16 and 19mm are
very close to commonly used fractional sizes.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:05:17
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:16:31

It's helped to learn the fractional and metric conversions, so I
recognize that the 0.434" I measured on an old South Bend part the
other day was 7/16" minus a production tolerance, or that 0 470"
[typo fixed] means 12mm.

12mm =.472 - they're cheating, again.

pyotr filipivich

0.470" as measured. I didn't have to deal with pre-CNC metric
drawings, only figure out whether optical bench and electronic
equipment had been made inch or metric. 8, 11, 14, 16 and 19mm are
very close to commonly used fractional sizes.

Yep - as a car mechanic who learned on VWs, I am well aware of
those B-)

jsw

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:10:58 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:

[...]

True indeed!

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/13/2013 2:10 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
David R. Birch wrote:

My company occasionally receives customer CAD files that have all
or most dimensions in inch fractions. What puzzles me is that when
I convert the fractions to decimal inches, the actual values turn
out to be only approximations of the fractions.

On one drawing, there was a line of holes regularly spaced and
dimensioned fractionally from one end. Based on the fractions, the
spacing seemed to be 6-11/32" hole to hole. After I converted the
fractions to decimal, the location of each hole from the end was
not an exact decimal equivalent and the hole to hole spacing was
from 6.3405 to 6.3445". The distances didn't get progressively
longer, just wandered around the decimal equivalent of 6-11/32".

You have to carry the decimal fraction to 5 places to keep roundoff
error from accumulating.

Rounding error isn't going to turn one 6-11/32 length to to 6.3446 and
the next to 6.3417.

In another case on the same drawing, several hole diameters were
given as 1/8", yet changing it to decimal showed one line of holes
to be .173" and another on the same part .117".

Why does this happen? How do you input 1/8" and get something other
than .125"?

I think you need to learn your CAD software better.

I know my software just fine, the problem is in the drawings we're getting.

Someting is just wrong, and I can't believe it is that broken.

Exactly, and the reason I'm asking is that I also can't believe it is
that broken and I also can't imagine how I could duplicate the distortion.

How did he do that and what can I tell him to make him stop?

One possibility is this is a graphical CAD package, and the only data
actually stored in the drawing is the LINES. The lines as shown on
the screen are only approximations of the true data, smashed to fit
onto the pixels of your screen. If it then makes dimensions off the
on-screen representation, that would explain everything. This would
not be considered a CAD package by most people, but a "DRAWING"
package. Trying to use it for precision manufacturing drawings or
the production of CAM data would be a big mistake.

Jon

You're talking about the raster output of a graphics package vs. the
vector output of CAD software. What we are receiving is a vector AutoCAD
DWG drawing with the dimensions all in inches and fractions of inches,
but the values of those fractions are not precise decimal equivalents,
or even consistently skewed.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/16/2013 12:12 AM, Richard wrote:
On 6/15/2013 10:26 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

I think you need to learn your CAD software better.

I know my software just fine, the problem is in the drawings we're
getting.

Someting is just wrong, and I can't believe it is that broken.

Exactly, and the reason I'm asking is that I also can't believe it is
that broken and I also can't imagine how I could duplicate the
distortion.

How did he do that and what can I tell him to make him stop?

You're talking about the raster output of a graphics package vs. the
vector output of CAD software. What we are receiving is a vector AutoCAD
DWG drawing with the dimensions all in inches and fractions of inches,
but the values of those fractions are not precise decimal equivalents,
or even consistently skewed.

David

The question is, from where are the dimensions referenced?

Are they all referenced from a common point?

They were all referenced from the same end of the parts. Similar
dimensions for each part from one end, but not consistent spacing and
the inconsistency wasn't consistent from part to part.

Or are they referenced - from each other?

Nope.

A string of points that reference from a single point should
line up just they wan one would expect.

In engineering, yes, I think this was done by someone with an
architectural background.

But what it sounds like is a string of points chained together
from one to the next - with rounding errors.

Or?

They were just located by eye...

The annoying thing is that they are close to location, but not close
enough for the various parts to actually fit together when assembled.

Ask the draftsman to practice saying, "you want fries with that?"...

No, if they have a degree, they say " would you like some fresh ground
pepper on that?..."

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 22:26:23 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Exactly, and the reason I'm asking is that I also can't believe it is
that broken and I also can't imagine how I could duplicate the distortion.

As I and a couple other folks suggested earlier, the easiest way to
explain it is the drafter placed the holes by eye and the dims are set
to round to the nearest 1/32. Fractional dims in autocad can be set to
round the displayed value anywhere from 1/2 to 1/256.

How did he do that and what can I tell him to make him stop?

That's a much more difficult question.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R. Birch wrote:

[...]

Make the part to the dimensions on the drawing, don't use the CAD
dimensions, and don't convert. When his stuff doesn't work, and he still
has to pay for it, he'll fix it.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How can you tell. Print it out at what scale ? and what precision.
Don't guess and measure with a ruler. Use a mouse and the CAD file and
have the Cad program measure it. CAD might scale a Tabloid into 11/17 with
3/8 borders or anything. It is relative. When 1:1 you normally use D
and E size paper
and make sure the CAD is printing at only 1"=1" or 10" or 5 or some even
number.

Cad fits a drawing into the paper size and the scale of ink vs Tube vs
planned is always off.

Martin

On 3/22/2019 5:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
How can you tell. Print it out at what scale ? and what
precision.
Don't guess and measure with a ruler. Use a mouse and the CAD file
and
have the Cad program measure it. CAD might scale a Tabloid into
11/17 with
3/8 borders or anything. It is relative. When 1:1 you normally use
D and E size paper
and make sure the CAD is printing at only 1"=1" or 10" or 5 or some
even number.

Cad fits a drawing into the paper size and the scale of ink vs Tube
vs planned is always off.

Martin

The X and Y scales of a paper print may differ because separate
mechanisms control them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/24/2019 11:53 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
How can you tell.Â* Print it out at what scale ?Â*Â* and what precision.
Don't guess and measure with a ruler.Â* Use a mouse and the CAD file and
have the Cad program measure it.Â* CAD might scale a Tabloid into 11/17 with
3/8 borders or anything.Â* It is relative.Â* When 1:1 you normally use D

On 3/22/2019 5:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

I posted this question almost 6 years ago and I don't remember whether I
got any response.

I received AutoCAD compatible files from a customer, either DWG or DXF,
I don't remember which. The files were fractionally dimensioned, but
when I checked the dims in AutoCAD, as we always did with customer CAD,
I found the discrepancies as described above.

There was no hard copy involved in this.

David

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Maybe the points were manually "digitized" from a paper print.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet
"It can also be used to trace an image from a piece of paper which is
taped or otherwise secured to the tablet surface."

"These digitizers were... bundled with PCs and PC-based CAD software
like AutoCAD."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/25/2019 5:12 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Maybe the points were manually "digitized" from a paper print.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet
"It can also be used to trace an image from a piece of paper which is
taped or otherwise secured to the tablet surface."

"These digitizers were... bundled with PCs and PC-based CAD software
like AutoCAD."

I think the files were generated from some kind of art program, maybe
Corel Draw. The customer was a UWM art dept prof who knew little about
manufacturing. He wanted the finished project for an industrial show,
but he kept modifying what he wanted just before we thought we were
ready to cut metal. His changes meant we went way over what we had
quoted. No one was happy.

The geometry was so bad that I ended using their CAD for reference only
as I redrew what they showed and made something I could use to produce
programs for our LASERs.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

If he assumed from a previous job that it would be manually machined
or the G-code typed in then only the dimension numbers matter, the
drawing could be a freehand sketch. Paper drafting practice was not to
measure dimensions off the print, except in architecture. Circuit
board artworks were taped or plotted on more dimensionally stable
Mylar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/26/2019 6:06 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

As I originally said, we were sent AutoCAD compatible files, either DXF
or DWG. I discovered the problem when I brought the files into our
AutoCAD and found their dimensions did not match their numbers on their
file.

AFAIK, at no time were dimensions based on a physical measurement of
anything, all we had was a CAD file.

Also puzzling is the fact that the message posted on 3/22/19 is a reply
to a message I left 6 years ago and there is no new text on the post
from .

Another note: all is moot, since I retired 5 years ago.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is simple simple. Draw a Ruler in Cad. A 10" by what sub divisions you
want. Print it on the paper you will use and with the same commands.
Take paper to table and with a precision scale measure the drawing ruler.

First the long 10" then 5" then 2.5 and down see what you get.

Make it 1:1 and print normally - e.g. some printers have size to fit. NO.

Martin

[...]

Can anyone help with dimensions? stryped[_2_] Woodworking 5 August 7th 08 11:07 PM
Mortice dimensions? Arthur2 UK diy 6 June 16th 08 02:09 PM
workbench dimensions R. Pierce Butler Woodworking 12 October 12th 06 04:32 PM
door dimensions Chris Carruth Woodworking 3 September 1st 06 06:06 PM
Plywood Dimensions Jay Pique Woodworking 0 January 16th 06 06:22 PM