Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Cordless combi drill/impact driver

On 22/03/2019 23:09, Billy wrote:

I bought a cheap cordless combi drill recently.

An unexpected benefit was that it would work as a screw driver in impact
mode. I'm not sure if this was intended behaviour but it seemed to work
well. Unifortunately this drill broke recently.

So I'm looking for a replacement. The drill I had is discontinued so I
can either get a cordless non combi/non impact replacement or buy some
thing slightly more expensive.

However I'm a bit confused as combi drills are often sold with additonal
impact drivers. Is it the case that most combi drills will not also work
as an impact driver? In which case I won't bother with the combi as a
cordless hammer drill action isn't important to me.

An impact drill hammers along the axis of rotation, ie its like driving
a screw in with a hammer.

An impact driver hammers in the direction of rotation, ie. its impact
action drives the screw around not into the material.

Impact drivers deliver a lot more torque to the screw than an equivalent
sized drill.