Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless combi drill/impact driver

I bought a cheap cordless combi drill recently.

An unexpected benefit was that it would work as a screw driver in impact
mode. I'm not sure if this was intended behaviour but it seemed to work
well. Unifortunately this drill broke recently.

So I'm looking for a replacement. The drill I had is discontinued so I
can either get a cordless non combi/non impact replacement or buy some
thing slightly more expensive.

However I'm a bit confused as combi drills are often sold with additonal
impact drivers. Is it the case that most combi drills will not also work
as an impact driver? In which case I won't bother with the combi as a
cordless hammer drill action isn't important to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A hammer action drill and impact driver work in a completely different way. Hammer action produces vibrations in the longitudinal axis of the drill whilst an impact driver produces vibrations in the rotary axis. I am not aware that any of the major manufacturers produce such a beast but I may be wrong. It sounds like a bit of a mash up and because you preceded your description with the word "cheap" I am inclined to think it probably is. Nevertheless post a link I would be interested to see such a device.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Billy wrote:
However I'm a bit confused as combi drills are often sold with additonal
impact drivers. Is it the case that most combi drills will not also work
as an impact driver? In which case I won't bother with the combi as a
cordless hammer drill action isn't important to me.

An impact screw driver and a hammer drill work on an entirely different
principle.

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2019 23:09, Billy wrote:

I bought a cheap cordless combi drill recently.

An unexpected benefit was that it would work as a screw driver in impact
mode. I'm not sure if this was intended behaviour but it seemed to work
well. Unifortunately this drill broke recently.

So I'm looking for a replacement. The drill I had is discontinued so I
can either get a cordless non combi/non impact replacement or buy some
thing slightly more expensive.

However I'm a bit confused as combi drills are often sold with additonal
impact drivers. Is it the case that most combi drills will not also work
as an impact driver? In which case I won't bother with the combi as a
cordless hammer drill action isn't important to me.

An impact drill hammers along the axis of rotation, ie its like driving
a screw in with a hammer.

An impact driver hammers in the direction of rotation, ie. its impact
action drives the screw around not into the material.

Impact drivers deliver a lot more torque to the screw than an equivalent
sized drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 March 2019 23:09:21 UTC, Billy wrote:
I bought a cheap cordless combi drill recently.

An unexpected benefit was that it would work as a screw driver in impact
mode. I'm not sure if this was intended behaviour but it seemed to work
well. Unifortunately this drill broke recently.

So I'm looking for a replacement. The drill I had is discontinued so I
can either get a cordless non combi/non impact replacement or buy some
thing slightly more expensive.

However I'm a bit confused as combi drills are often sold with additonal
impact drivers. Is it the case that most combi drills will not also work
as an impact driver?

no.

In which case I won't bother with the combi as a
cordless hammer drill action isn't important to me.

you're not confusing hammer dilling with impact action are you?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
A hammer action drill and impact driver work in a completely different way. Hammer action produces vibrations in the longitudinal axis of the drill whilst an impact driver produces vibrations in the rotary axis. I am not aware that any of the major manufacturers produce such a beast but I may be wrong. It sounds like a bit of a mash up and because you preceded your description with the word "cheap" I am inclined to think it probably is. Nevertheless post a link I would be interested to see such a device.

Thank you and everyone else who replied.

An excellant response. I had indeed misunderstood the impact mechanism
of an impact driver.

I suspect you are also correct about it being a mash up. Anyway, it
seems clear that it is not a feature I should worry about.

Link as requested.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titan-Cordless-Li-Ion-Batteries-TTI699COM/dp/B01MXERPVA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is just a combi drill with hammer action, if you employ hammer action whilst trying to drive in screws all you will end up doing is knackering the screw head.

An impact driver is just a driver and is not used as a drill which is why they have a tool holder usually 1/4" and not a chuck.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
That is just a combi drill with hammer action, if you employ hammer action whilst trying to drive in screws all you will end up doing is knackering the screw head.

An impact driver is just a driver and is not used as a drill

Unless you put hex shank bits in it...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unless you put hex shank bits in it...

And you do not mind the drill ending up stuck in the material when you try to extract it.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:

Unless you put hex shank bits in it...

And you do not mind the drill ending up stuck in the material when you try to extract it.

Richard

How did that happen?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
That is just a combi drill with hammer action, if you employ hammer
action whilst trying to drive in screws all you will end up doing is
knackering the screw head.

An impact driver is just a driver and is not used as a drill

Unless you put hex shank bits in it...

And an excellent tool for shearing off drill bits.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 14:23:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:

That is just a combi drill with hammer action, if you employ hammer
action whilst trying to drive in screws all you will end up doing is
knackering the screw head.

An impact driver is just a driver and is not used as a drill

Unless you put hex shank bits in it...

And an excellent tool for shearing off drill bits.

Most hex bits are hopelessly vulnerable to breakage from an impact driver due to the shank often being merely glued into the hex base.

NT