Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jac Brown Jac Brown is offline

Default Nuisance caller attempts increasing again

"Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 22:36:40 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 22/03/2019 15:37, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:17:21 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 22/03/2019 12:06, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:52:09 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 16:42, Mark wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:40:19 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 16:26, Mark wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:07:42 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 13:49, Mark wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 13:08:38 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've noticed a gradual rise to mobile numbers as well over
say, the last
month or so.
some are not spoofed but genuine chancers trying to
sell stuff, usually
some financial service or crap junk from China.

At least some do have an opt out number to hit, and having
checked this
against charges, it seems to be legitimate and worked.

Those opt-outs should be changed to opt-ins - it's very hard to
opt-out
when you've picked up the landline on an only slightly updated,
80 year
old, rotary dial phone!

IIRC the law says that it must be "opt-in" not "opt-out".

UK law doesn't apply to other countries so they can still phone
you.

UK law should apply to companies that do business in the UK.

How are you going to enforce UK laws on overseas companies?

If the company does business here then they must have a UK presence,
yes?

No. What kind of business presence does a scammer require in the UK
carry out scams by phone here?

Therefore fines could be imposed for breaching UK laws.

I can sure a scam outfit in Kolkata will be quaking in its boots.
Lets
just hope they are not the kind of naughty people who would not pay a
fine! (assuming you can identify who they are)

One form of direct action you can take here, is to identify the VoIP
operator that is providing call termination services in the UK and
get
them to remove or block their accounts. This is something that they
tend
to do fairly regularly anyway, since the scammers quite often avoid
paying them, and they are also quite responsive to fraud reports.

However there are hundreds of providers to choose from and the
scammers
will just rotate through new ones every so often, making sure they
always have a handful of working services available to use.

I still can't understand why the same principles cannot be applied
that are used for spam filtering. Apart from a blacklist, what about
algorithms to spot suspicious patterns? If CLI number is invalid,
block. If overseas call carries UK CLI, block. If more that 20 calls
are generated in one minute divert the next call to the operator. If
number of dropped calls exceeds a threshhold, block. There must be
other warning signs.

You want to censor phone calls now?
What happens when you start blocking legitimate calls by mistake?
If you want to block them then use a call blocker.

Yes, in exactly the same way as I expect my ISP to filter junk at the
server end. What about vulnerable people? Do they not deserve
protection?

So how do you differentiate between a legit call centre and a scammer?
Both would so a similar pattern of calls.

I'd leave that to the experts

It isnt possible.

You could start with numbers in the
wrong format (wrong number of digits, non-existent code), incoming
overseas calls with a UK number, large number of dropped calls - there
must be tell-tale signs for those that know.

There isnt.