Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Inverter Generator

In article ,
says...

$ 10 to 20 is inexpensive for a special made crystal now. I only know
of 2 places right now, Bomar that last report was $ 50 per crystal and
minimum of $ 100 for an order. Another in England that is I think about
$ 30 per crystal.

Those programmable-frequency oscillators may have distinctly worse
phase-noise characteristics than a real crystal in a good oscillator
circuit. They may not necessarily be suitable for communications
projects or others that are sensitive to phase noise / jitter.

They are 'dirty' compaired to a crystal. I have played with a couple on
a spectrum analizer just to see.

Probably not very useful if a clean signal is desired, but fine if just
a close frequency is needed for things like a microprocessor clock.