Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Inverter Generator

On Friday, 22 March 2019 21:45:47 UTC, bitrex wrote:
On 3/20/19 6:57 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:

Hello, all.Â* This isn't a repair question but, not having seen any
circuit schematics, I've been wondering what circuitry constitutes the
time base (what governs the 60 Hz AC output freq) in consumer inverter
generators (e.g. the Honda EU series)?Â* Is it crystal-controlled or
something else? I'm assuming it depends on the inverter portion itself,
not the rpm of the engine.Â* Since these appliances are designed to
function in a variety of temperature/humidity environments I would think
frequency stability is important.Â* Thanks for your time and comment.
Sincerely,

Why is frequency stability important in a consumer-grade generator? It's
important for generators that connect to the grid because they have to
sync up to the grid. Most consumer grade generators are not designed to
connect to the grid so what's wrong with 60 hz plus or minus a hz or
two. An RC oscillator can do that. Nowadays most microprocessors have at
least one general-purpose integrated RC clock oscillator.

Appliances that use the 60Hz wall voltage for a timebase for anything
don't really exist anymore not even cheap digital alarm clocks.

There is one appliance fwiw, the pin or segment timer. But portable generators & electrical precision are alien concepts.

NT