Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Nuisance caller attempts increasing again

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:55:07 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 17:21, Steve Walker wrote:
On 21/03/2019 16:44, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:26:52 +0000, Mark
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:07:42 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 13:49, Mark wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 13:08:38 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 21/03/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've noticed a gradual rise to mobile numbers as well over say,
the last
month or so.
*** some are not spoofed but genuine chancers trying to sell
stuff, usually
some financial service or crap junk from China.

At least some do have an opt out* number to hit, and having
checked this
against charges, it seems to be legitimate and worked.

Those opt-outs should be changed to opt-ins - it's very hard to
opt-out
when you've picked up the landline on an only slightly updated, 80
year
old, rotary dial phone!

IIRC the law says that it must be "opt-in" not "opt-out".

UK law doesn't apply to other countries so they can still phone you.

UK law should apply to companies that do business in the UK.

Depends what you mean by 'do business'.* If they have a branch or
office in the UK, I agree with you but if they are based abroad and
phoning UK numbers, I don't see how that would work.* You can't get
somebody extradited for an alleged crime that took place outside the
jurisdiction.* By that logic, if someone used a clone of my credit
card in Hong Kong, they could be brought to court and prosecuted in
the UK.* How would that work?* Extraordinary rendition?

How many nuisance calls have you received where the services or goods
being offered are being advertised for a company that does not have a UK
presence? I've not had one. They have all been for double glazing, new
boilers, new kitchens, accident compensation, etc., where there is a
clear UK presence that is simply using overseas call centres to get
around the UK laws.

Registering with the telephone preference service will knock out the
majority of legit uk based cold callers. For the few that still ring,
simply mentioning they are ringing a TPS listed number makes them vanish
very quickly.

Unfortunately, legit UK based callers seem to be the minority. The
biggest number seem to be automated followed by calls with the
character of the 'sub-continent'.