Posted to alt.home.repair
catalpa catalpa is offline

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 11:19:38 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:14:07 AM UTC-5, Elbow wrote:
replying to hallerb, Elbow wrote:
I have the same problem, I can hear the water pour back down the
pipes which causes the sump pump to kick back on. It's a continuous
cycle. I haven't really heard any solid advice in here yet but if
you figure out how to solve the problem, PLEASE let me know!

There should be a check valve in the vertical pipe. The pipe below
the check valve has an air hole so that the pipe below the valve
will drain. It could be this draining that you hear, but if a
significant amount of water comes back then you may have a failed
check valve.

What's the purpose of draining the pipe below the check valve with the
air hole? I recall hearing about this before, but can't recall what the
issue is supposed to be.

It is not to drain the pipe below the check valve, it is to prevent airlock
and burning out the sump pump.