Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 7:33 pm, Joe wrote:
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

It seems water is coming into the basement regardless of the details.
Just make sure your valuables are up off of the floor. Then go out
and buy a backup pump, cheap insurance. Perhaps install the new one
and keep the old one for a backup. Then maybe you can get some sleep,
(:

There are many posts like this and the standard answer is to address
the problem outside the house. Check grading to be sure water is
draining well away. Gutters also need to be check to see that they
are carrying water well away from the base of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:00�pm, Lawrence wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:33 pm, Joe wrote:

[...]

many people have sumps above the grade of a lower spot on their
property.

draining by gravity, even if its just a overflow if the pump gets
behind is always a good idea. gravity tends to be highly reliable

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

I have to wonder if some of the water is just now getting down to the lower
levels. Often the frozen ground will keep water near the surface but now
that the weather is warming, some new vein of water may be breaking through.

Also, check the run time. If the pump was cycling on every 6 minutes and
running for two, but now comes on every 2.5 minutes and runs for less than
one minutes, the float switch may not be in the right spot and it is short
cycling. Every motor has a duty cycles that includes so many starts per
hour. Yours is on the high side right now and can cause some strain. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

At my old house the pump would run almost constantly. It didn't fail until
the switch broke and it ran while "dry".
Naturally they wear out eventually, and a battery powered backup will help
you sleep. If you do your own plumbing, it would also help to have a spare
pump on the shelf.

I am in Rochester NY and we had much less rain than you did, but I got the
most water in my sump since I moved here 14 years ago. Not high enough to
start the pump, but almost. It hasn't gone down, though we haven't had rain
in a couple days. Everything is so saturated, it just takes time to clear
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes.

Pumping every 6 minutes, and then every 2.5 minutes? When it gets to
every 1 minute, you should go to the hospital. You and your wife are
going to have a gusher.

It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

It's been unusally wet, but your pump is unlikely to break tonight.
It will be fine. (It's also too late when I am posting for you to buy
another pump anyhow, but I really don't think you will need one.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

another thing to check is if there is much vertical lift on the discharge
line you could have a check valve leaking back causing the pump to short
cycle. just look into the sump and make sure after the pump cycles off that
you don't see water coming back in the sump from the pump intake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

Spend $7 and buy yourself some peace of mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-C-DRAIN-PAN-FL...QQcmdZViewItem

Just hook the switch to a radio or buzzer and you will be notified
when the sump has failed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:25:31 -0500, deke wrote:

[...]

Very interesting. Your description says more bout it than its own
does. It will really turn on a 110 volt radio? The vendor doesn't
bother to say that.

AS to leaking from the condensate pan, I had a lot of that, and
although there wasn't enough water to "destroy my home" as the vendor
puts it, it wasn't good.

The drain opening was clear and the pvc pipe was clear, and it came
out from the duct (plenum?) 1 inch horizontal, two inches down, 16
inches to the wall (horizontal, not at all up hill), 4 feet down to
the floor, 10 feet sideways to the sump along the wall, and 16 inches
out to the sump.

I ended up just cutting the pipe a bit and rearranging it, so that the
first 2 inches down were increased to ~16 inches down and then back
to the wall. Everything else stayed the same, and it has worked fine
ever since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:02:26 -0400, mm
wrote:

[...]

It is just a plain ol switch that opens and closes when water covers
it. You can hook anything you want to the contacts.

I'd just stick it right above the sump inlet and hook a loud
radio/alarm to the NO(normally open) contacts. Then I'd quit
measuring how many seconds the sump pump runs.

Peace of MIND.

AS to leaking from the condensate pan, I had a lot of that, and
although there wasn't enough water to "destroy my home" as the vendor
puts it, it wasn't good.

The drain opening was clear and the pvc pipe was clear, and it came
out from the duct (plenum?) 1 inch horizontal, two inches down, 16
inches to the wall (horizontal, not at all up hill), 4 feet down to
the floor, 10 feet sideways to the sump along the wall, and 16 inches
out to the sump.

I ended up just cutting the pipe a bit and rearranging it, so that the
first 2 inches down were increased to ~16 inches down and then back
to the wall. Everything else stayed the same, and it has worked fine
ever since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

Mine runs every 2 minutes and has for a year or more at this point. It
breaks down as the dirt cakes over the blades. THey I have to clean the
dirt off the blades, off the pressure switch, and snake the pipes.

Otherwise, that is not too much load for a sump so long as there is water
to keep it cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Install a ( small ) swamp cooler water pump in the pit.

They pump a few gallons a minute, ( continuous )
and will stay ahead of your water seepage.

Draws a few watts, and no harm if it runs dry.

I turn it on during wet season....
the main sump rarely runs now, except during a heavy rain.

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

When the water table drops, the time between ON-Off will increase.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

I've heard a failed check valve can cause repeated cycling of a sump
pump. Might want to check that.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:21:51 +0000, MLD wrote:

Mine runs every 2 minutes and has for a year or more at this point. It
breaks down as the dirt cakes over the blades. THey I have to clean the
dirt off the blades, off the pressure switch, and snake the pipes.

Otherwise, that is not too much load for a sump so long as there is water
to keep it cool.

When the water table drops, the time between ON-Off will increase.
MLD

True. I wonder when God will decide to drop the water table around here.
Its been running like this for over 3 years now...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:52:28 -0400, Just Joshin
wrote:

On 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a

But 2 days after a rain like you had is a lot like "just stopped
raining". My pump runs for a day normally after a long storm, and I
think sometimes longer.

It's surprisign that the interval has gotten smaller, but if there is
some sort of water leak somewhere, you'll have to wait until the
ground dries out longer to learn that.

massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

I've heard a failed check valve can cause repeated cycling of a sump
pump. Might want to check that.

I have no check valve at all. That's the way the house came. I can
hear the water run back when the pump turns off, and I can see it in
the bottom of the sump too.

I think it raises the water level about an inch or less (I can check
if someone wants), and probably takes under 5 seconds to pump out the
next time. I used to know just how long it takes to pump out the
whole sump, but now I only remember that it was between 25 and 35
seconds.

So I guess I'm wasting maybe between a sixth and a twelvth of the
electricity I use for the pump, but I'm pretty sure that's no more
than a dollar a year. If I put in a battery backup, I'll have to add
checkvalves for both of them.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What your wasting depends on the size of your pipe. Your also wasting the
life of your pump. And of course there is also the critters that can find
their way in. Plus it becomes a path for air when its empty. Check valve
is pretty cheap for what it does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

is pretty cheap for what it does.- Hide quoted text -

I have no checkvalve. My pump is near the garage door, in the right
conditions water held by a check valve could freeze ruining
everything.

My pump drains downward to a line running underground to daylight at
the street......

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hallerb, Elbow wrote:
I have the same problem, I can hear the water pour back down the pipes which
causes the sump pump to kick back on. Its a continuous cycle. I havent
really heard any solid advice in here yet but if you figure out how to solve
the problem, PLEASE let me know!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-211259-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 8:14:07 AM UTC-4, Elbow wrote:
replying to hallerb, Elbow wrote:
I have the same problem, I can hear the water pour back down the pipes which
causes the sump pump to kick back on. Its a continuous cycle. I havent
really heard any solid advice in here yet but if you figure out how to solve
the problem, PLEASE let me know!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-211259-.htm

Does it have a check valve on the discharge line? Typically these run
up for a good number of feet after leaving the pump. If there is no
check valve, then all the water remaining in the pipe runs back into
the sump pit. If it has one, it may be stuck and need to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:14:07 AM UTC-5, Elbow wrote:
replying to hallerb, Elbow wrote:
I have the same problem, I can hear the water pour back down the
pipes which causes the sump pump to kick back on. Its a continuous
cycle. I havent really heard any solid advice in here yet but if
you figure out how to solve the problem, PLEASE let me know!

There should be a check valve in the vertical pipe. The pipe below
the check valve has an air hole so that the pipe below the valve
will drain. It could be this draining that you hear, but if a
significant amount of water comes back then you may have a failed
check valve.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zoeller-Pla...lve/1000675901

If the idiots who build my house had working brains my sump would
have been on the opposite side of the house where the walk-out
door is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 11:19:38 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:14:07 AM UTC-5, Elbow wrote:
replying to hallerb, Elbow wrote:
I have the same problem, I can hear the water pour back down the
pipes which causes the sump pump to kick back on. Its a continuous
cycle. I havent really heard any solid advice in here yet but if
you figure out how to solve the problem, PLEASE let me know!

There should be a check valve in the vertical pipe. The pipe below
the check valve has an air hole so that the pipe below the valve
will drain. It could be this draining that you hear, but if a
significant amount of water comes back then you may have a failed
check valve.

What's the purpose of draining the pipe below the check valve with the
air hole? I recall hearing about this before, but can't recall what the
issue is supposed to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In trader_4 writes:

What's the purpose of draining the pipe below the check valve with the
air hole? I recall hearing about this before, but can't recall what the
issue is supposed to be.

If there's water in the vertical pipe then when the
pump starts it's got a pressure head against it.

Makes things tougher...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

It is not to drain the pipe below the check valve, it is to prevent airlock
and burning out the sump pump.