Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Running cables from CU into trunking

ARW wrote:

On 20/03/2019 22:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 20/03/2019 09:33, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Nothing wrong with intumescent sealant where the cables enter the CU
(about £3.50 for a tube of Fire Mate at Toolstation.

As for the spacings of the clips. That's easy. Imaging the trunking just
instantly disappears and then just fit the clips where you need them to
keep all the cables roughly held up to the ceiling.

Just to clarify Adam, the last time I did something similar was a long
time ago. Then I simply made holes in the side of the trunking matching
the CU knockouts. Can I do the same but use intumescent sealant once the
cables are passed through?

I think I might have slightly misread your question. I assumed (without
thinking) that you were running the trunking up from the CU to the
ceiling perimeter trunking and just using conduit on the drops to the
sockets etc. If that was the case I would [1] use the largest bush and
lock ring possible to fit inside the trunking as an entry point into the
CU (and then fill the gaps with Fire Mate).

Your way is absolutely fine but harder work if you have several drops of
conduit to the CU.

And yes you just fill the gaps either way when you are done.

[1] Another option with the trunking method is to jigsaw a square out of
the top of the CU and use grommet strip that fits neatly inside the
trunking.

Sorry for the OT, but where do you get grommet strip? Sounds great, I
always used cut grommets, but they are clearly not ideal.

Electrical wholesalers.

It seems that Screwfix and Toolstation do not sell it.

TLC do one, just a matter of knowing what it is called. Thanks. Does
anyone do rubber ones, or aren't they flexible enough for corners?

--

Roger Hayter