Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Running cables from CU into trunking

I am running 50mm X 50mm plastic trunking round the perimeter of garage at ceiling level and planning to drop conduit down to switches and sockets. How do I feed cables from the CU into the trunking and retain the fireproof integrity of the CU? Do I need to use glands or are there alternatives. I was thinking of using galvanised couplers and brass male bushes to attach to the CU and trunking and then filling the space with intumescent sealer once the cables are in situ. I will be using anti droop clips in the trunking.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-sa...ck-of-12/2286j

How far apart do they need to be and do I only need to use them just above doorways or the full extent of the trunking?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/03/2019 15:40, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I am running 50mm X 50mm plastic trunking round the perimeter of garage at ceiling level and planning to drop conduit down to switches and sockets. How do I feed cables from the CU into the trunking and retain the fireproof integrity of the CU? Do I need to use glands or are there alternatives. I was thinking of using galvanised couplers and brass male bushes to attach to the CU and trunking and then filling the space with intumescent sealer once the cables are in situ. I will be using anti droop clips in the trunking.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-sa...ck-of-12/2286j

How far apart do they need to be and do I only need to use them just above doorways or the full extent of the trunking?

Nothing wrong with intumescent sealant where the cables enter the CU
(about £3.50 for a tube of Fire Mate at Toolstation.

As for the spacings of the clips. That's easy. Imaging the trunking just
instantly disappears and then just fit the clips where you need them to
keep all the cables roughly held up to the ceiling.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nothing wrong with intumescent sealant where the cables enter the CU
(about £3.50 for a tube of Fire Mate at Toolstation.

As for the spacings of the clips. That's easy. Imaging the trunking just
instantly disappears and then just fit the clips where you need them to
keep all the cables roughly held up to the ceiling.

Just to clarify Adam, the last time I did something similar was a long time ago. Then I simply made holes in the side of the trunking matching the CU knockouts. Can I do the same but use intumescent sealant once the cables are passed through?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/03/2019 09:33, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Nothing wrong with intumescent sealant where the cables enter the CU
(about £3.50 for a tube of Fire Mate at Toolstation.

As for the spacings of the clips. That's easy. Imaging the trunking just
instantly disappears and then just fit the clips where you need them to
keep all the cables roughly held up to the ceiling.

Just to clarify Adam, the last time I did something similar was a long time ago. Then I simply made holes in the side of the trunking matching the CU knockouts. Can I do the same but use intumescent sealant once the cables are passed through?

I think I might have slightly misread your question. I assumed (without
thinking) that you were running the trunking up from the CU to the
ceiling perimeter trunking and just using conduit on the drops to the
sockets etc. If that was the case I would [1] use the largest bush and
lock ring possible to fit inside the trunking as an entry point into the
CU (and then fill the gaps with Fire Mate).

Your way is absolutely fine but harder work if you have several drops of
conduit to the CU.

And yes you just fill the gaps either way when you are done.

[1] Another option with the trunking method is to jigsaw a square out of
the top of the CU and use grommet strip that fits neatly inside the
trunking.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice Adam, I hope to make a start soon as get my other problem sorted - see ****** Roofers.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

Sorry for the OT, but where do you get grommet strip? Sounds great, I
always used cut grommets, but they are clearly not ideal.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/03/2019 22:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

[...]

Electrical wholesalers.

It seems that Screwfix and Toolstation do not sell it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

TLC do one, just a matter of knowing what it is called. Thanks. Does
anyone do rubber ones, or aren't they flexible enough for corners?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:

[...]

The one's I have used are pretty much the same. And you nearly always
have to superglue it on.

--
Adam