Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default Just replaced bath tap valve, but old cap won't fit oversplines

MM Wrote in message:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 07:38:34 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes though there seems to be no real standard here does there?, I know on my
sink we had to replace both as nowhere could you get a top that looked the
same as the good tap but fitted the spine.
Bah humbug.
Brian

Seems like the industry is missing a trick here. One rather amazing
little tool I saw on eBay is a spline gauge so you can test which
splines you have. These templates are available at widely differing
prices.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OCYAA...QL/s-l1600.jpg

Or this one shows diameter and spline count:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GIMAA...jy/s-l1600.jpg

The key component in the tap knob is the splined brass bush. If
splined bushes were available in different sizes it would be a doddle
for any plumber or competent DIY person to judiciously drill out the
existing bush and insert the correct one.

Actually, I expect these splined brass bushes are indeed manufactured
in the thousands by somebody or other, since I doubt that a tap knob
manufacturer is going to be making their own bushes.

MM

Theyd just count the splines, measure the other dimensions
accurately and "order the right ones" TM.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/