Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Just replaced bath tap valve, but old cap won't fit over splines

I've measured the diameter of the splined end, old and new and they
are practically identical. I haven't counted the splines yet. Maybe
they're wider on the new valve.

Any trick I could use to get the cap to fit or must I buy new caps?

I already thought of drilling into the splined brass bushing in the
cap for a few millimetres, then forcing the cap on.

The new valve has cured the low flow problem like magic, but I can't
turn the ruddy tap on or off! (Currently using pliers with a cloth
wrapped around the splines.)

I've seen the plastic spline adapters, but they all look far too
chunky.

How about a junior hacksaw blade in each of the spline grooves?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2019 12:00, MM wrote:
I've measured the diameter of the splined end, old and new and they
are practically identical. I haven't counted the splines yet. Maybe
they're wider on the new valve.

Any trick I could use to get the cap to fit or must I buy new caps?

I already thought of drilling into the splined brass bushing in the
cap for a few millimetres, then forcing the cap on.

The new valve has cured the low flow problem like magic, but I can't
turn the ruddy tap on or off! (Currently using pliers with a cloth
wrapped around the splines.)

I've seen the plastic spline adapters, but they all look far too
chunky.

How about a junior hacksaw blade in each of the spline grooves?

MM

I'm afraid you've bought the wrong valve!

There are several spline variations - and they're not interchangeable.

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:37:14 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 19/03/2019 12:00, MM wrote:
I've measured the diameter of the splined end, old and new and they
are practically identical. I haven't counted the splines yet. Maybe
they're wider on the new valve.

Any trick I could use to get the cap to fit or must I buy new caps?

I already thought of drilling into the splined brass bushing in the
cap for a few millimetres, then forcing the cap on.

The new valve has cured the low flow problem like magic, but I can't
turn the ruddy tap on or off! (Currently using pliers with a cloth
wrapped around the splines.)

I've seen the plastic spline adapters, but they all look far too
chunky.

How about a junior hacksaw blade in each of the spline grooves?

MM

I'm afraid you've bought the wrong valve!

There are several spline variations - and they're not interchangeable.

I don't think I would ever have assumed they would be, even if they
were supposed to be. ;-)

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.

I think the former sounds safer. ;-)

But why didn't it come with one?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.

I think the former sounds safer. ;-)

But why didn't it come with one?

Because replacement valve innards are generic and fit many styles of types.
They never come with a cap.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.

I think the former sounds safer. ;-)

But why didn't it come with one?

Because replacement valve innards are generic and fit many styles of types.
They never come with a cap.

Tim

Unless you buy "tap revivers"
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 14:40:36 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

wrote:

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.

I think the former sounds safer. ;-)

But why didn't it come with one?

Because replacement valve innards are generic and fit many styles of types.
They never come with a cap.

Tim

Unless you buy "tap revivers"

What I did in the end was "work" the old valve while it was out of the
tap body by screwing the shaft in and out multiple times. Then I
replaced it back into the tap and the good flow rate is restored. (I
should have tried this remedy first before shooting off the Screwfix!)

I'll return the new valve to Screwfix, which is usually very good
about refunds.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.

I think the former sounds safer. ;-)

But why didn't it come with one?

Because replacement valve innards are generic and fit many styles of types.

Ah yes, 'bath tap valve-insert' and 'bath tap head' ... ;-)

They never come with a cap.

Well, some can ...

https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.u...207-5452-p.asp

Unless my taps were a 'good brand', I think I'd either just replace
the washer (and possibly reseat) or replace the whole tap. Anything
else just sounds like a receipt for disaster!

My basin cold tap needs a new washer by the feel of it so I'll let you
know how I get on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes though there seems to be no real standard here does there?, I know on my
sink we had to replace both as nowhere could you get a top that looked the
same as the good tap but fitted the spine.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 19/03/2019 12:00, MM wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 07:38:34 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes though there seems to be no real standard here does there?, I know on my
sink we had to replace both as nowhere could you get a top that looked the
same as the good tap but fitted the spine.
Bah humbug.
Brian

Seems like the industry is missing a trick here. One rather amazing
little tool I saw on eBay is a spline gauge so you can test which
splines you have. These templates are available at widely differing
prices.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OCYAA...QL/s-l1600.jpg

Or this one shows diameter and spline count:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GIMAA...jy/s-l1600.jpg

The key component in the tap knob is the splined brass bush. If
splined bushes were available in different sizes it would be a doddle
for any plumber or competent DIY person to judiciously drill out the
existing bush and insert the correct one.

Actually, I expect these splined brass bushes are indeed manufactured
in the thousands by somebody or other, since I doubt that a tap knob
manufacturer is going to be making their own bushes.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Theyd just count the splines, measure the other dimensions
accurately and "order the right ones" TM.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Sure, but we're talking about what is available to the end consumer
here. All the tap valves I've seen (B&Q, Screwfix etc) are either
shrink-wrapped or in a sealed plastic bag, which makes counting the
splines very difficult, if not impossible.

Since there are up to 23 different combinations of spline count and
diameter, as per the above gauges, finding the right one for a
particular knob must be nigh on impossible.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 March 2019 08:40:58 UTC, MM wrote:

Sure, but we're talking about what is available to the end consumer
here. All the tap valves I've seen (B&Q, Screwfix etc) are either
shrink-wrapped or in a sealed plastic bag, which makes counting the
splines very difficult, if not impossible.

Since there are up to 23 different combinations of spline count and
diameter, as per the above gauges, finding the right one for a
particular knob must be nigh on impossible.

MM

why is there no BS standard for this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2019 08:40, MM wrote:
Since there are up to 23 different combinations of spline count and
diameter, as per the above gauges, finding th

Which is why I simply replace complete taps in pairs.

At around £20 a pair it seems not worth the hassle of trying to fix them

--
Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,

Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There are online shops that index them by size and also by tap make.
Note that the quarter turn ceramic inserts also have length of the
capsule as a vital dimension to seal at the bottom, and this isn't
standardised either. This seems such an ideal role for a website with
good search facilities it is surprising anyone would seek to buy them
any other way.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Eh?
what is stopping you buying exactly what you needed?

All the tap valves I've seen (B&Q, Screwfix etc) are either
shrink-wrapped or in a sealed plastic bag, which makes counting the
splines very difficult, if not impossible.

Use the other parts of the internet maybe??

Since there are up to 23 different combinations of spline count and
diameter, as per the above gauges, finding the right one for a
particular knob must be nigh on impossible.

********, you just need to put a little effort in, or you end up
where you've just been....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Availabilty.

All the tap valves I've seen (B&Q, Screwfix etc) are either
shrink-wrapped or in a sealed plastic bag, which makes counting the
splines very difficult, if not impossible.

Use the other parts of the internet maybe??

And how would I try whether the tap handle fits via the internet?

By the way, I visited a local bathroom/kitchen specialist and he
brought out a box of different tap valves. Only ONE type had the right
number of splines, but was too long to fit to the tap.

Since there are up to 23 different combinations of spline count and
diameter, as per the above gauges, finding the right one for a
particular knob must be nigh on impossible.

********, you just need to put a little effort in, or you end up
where you've just been....

So put a little effort in to prove your point and find me a full-turn
tap valve online that clearly states the number of splines, the length
of the splines and the size of the valve.

Money where mouth, so to speak!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Look on Ebay yourself you lazy sod!

You know what words to search for as you keep using them.....

Search this newsgroup, there's some merchant with a website
specialising in these exact things that has been mentioned on
here regularly...

Get your head out of your arse! so to speak!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

I did already. And on Amazon.

MM

Bathroom mixer shower hot tap won't turn on/turns a little but no hot water and sleeve for changing from shower to bath is tuck on shower. Taps in basin are fine. Sandy UK diy 2 June 26th 18 10:12 PM
Tap splines [email protected] UK diy 1 May 10th 16 11:05 PM
15mm pipe 1/2" BSP tap conector won't fit Grohe tap [email protected] UK diy 6 February 6th 16 05:25 PM
Valve,butterfly valve,ball valve,check valve,globe valve [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 14th 06 09:23 AM