Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Just replaced bath tap valve, but old cap won't fit over splines

Yes though there seems to be no real standard here does there?, I know on my
sink we had to replace both as nowhere could you get a top that looked the
same as the good tap but fitted the spine.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 19/03/2019 12:00, MM wrote:
I've measured the diameter of the splined end, old and new and they
are practically identical. I haven't counted the splines yet. Maybe
they're wider on the new valve.

Any trick I could use to get the cap to fit or must I buy new caps?

I already thought of drilling into the splined brass bushing in the
cap for a few millimetres, then forcing the cap on.

The new valve has cured the low flow problem like magic, but I can't
turn the ruddy tap on or off! (Currently using pliers with a cloth
wrapped around the splines.)

I've seen the plastic spline adapters, but they all look far too
chunky.

How about a junior hacksaw blade in each of the spline grooves?

MM

I'm afraid you've bought the wrong valve!

There are several spline variations - and they're not interchangeable.

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.
--
Cheers,
Roger