Posted to alt.home.repair

Default short height tube surround?

On 3/19/19 5:24 PM, MarkK wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 17:04:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is this a ghetto property? Put in a proper surround that is easier
cleaned and healthier.

Your idea sounds like a slumlord special made with saran wrap and caulk.

Yes, this is a ghetto property.

These people are unbelievably destructive -- they tear out plumbing,
electrical and pretty much anything that can be damaged. I installed a
new screen door and later watched from a 100 feet away as a man smoking a
cigarette walked up to the screen door and started poking his cig thru
the fiberglass screen -- making a bunch of holes. I installed a new
steel door and another man apparently took it as a challenge that he
could bend the hinges by swinging on the door. He succeeded.

A full size surround would probably cost $300 or more to get a heavy duty
version. I've seen a short surround like I described but I have no idea
where they bought it from. Maybe they just routed some plastic lumber
and attached it anchors and a nice clean bead of caulk?

What about making your own from pvc panels? Fasten it to the
concrete
with concrete anchor screws or use adhesive. Use silicone at the top
to seal it to the concrete.
I'm drawing a blank on the proper terms right now. One can get caps
and corner pieces
for that stuff so it wouldn't look too terrible. One could probably
even carefully use a hack saw with a fine toothed blade.