Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Just replaced bath tap valve, but old cap won't fit over splines

On 19 Mar 2019 13:56:28 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:37:14 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

So you'll either need a different valve or a different cap.

I think the former sounds safer. ;-)

But why didn't it come with one?

Because replacement valve innards are generic and fit many styles of types.

Ah yes, 'bath tap valve-insert' and 'bath tap head' ... ;-)

They never come with a cap.

Well, some can ...

https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.u...207-5452-p.asp

Unless my taps were a 'good brand', I think I'd either just replace
the washer (and possibly reseat) or replace the whole tap. Anything
else just sounds like a receipt for disaster!

My basin cold tap needs a new washer by the feel of it so I'll let you
know how I get on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m