Posted to alt.home.repair
MarkK[_3_] MarkK[_3_] is offline

Default short height tube surround?

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 17:04:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is this a ghetto property? Put in a proper surround that is easier
cleaned and healthier.

Your idea sounds like a slumlord special made with saran wrap and caulk.

Yes, this is a ghetto property.

These people are unbelievably destructive -- they tear out plumbing,
electrical and pretty much anything that can be damaged. I installed a
new screen door and later watched from a 100 feet away as a man smoking a
cigarette walked up to the screen door and started poking his cig thru
the fiberglass screen -- making a bunch of holes. I installed a new
steel door and another man apparently took it as a challenge that he
could bend the hinges by swinging on the door. He succeeded.

A full size surround would probably cost $300 or more to get a heavy duty
version. I've seen a short surround like I described but I have no idea
where they bought it from. Maybe they just routed some plastic lumber
and attached it anchors and a nice clean bead of caulk?