dgk

Default Bathroom Renovation questions

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:51:36 GMT, "B" wrote:

If this new bathroom helps get you into that special "situation" that you
mentioned, write back and we'll help you re-do the bedroom.
-B

I find the kitchen causes the more delicate types to flee. Perhaps
that should be done first.

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
I have an attached 18 foot wide house about 60 years old. The bathroom
has a stall shower as well as a bathtub. I was thinking of replacing
the old tub with a jaccuzi and making it the shower also. That frees
up the stall shower area to use as a nice sink, cabinet, and cat
litter/feeding area. Right now the cat litter sits in the tub which
sort of makes the tub unusable for its primary purpose. More exactly,
the litter is not directly in the tub. The litter is in a cat litter
container and that is in the tub, but the end result is the same.

My friends contend that people like separate stall showers and it will
be easier to sell the house that way (I'm not planning on selling
anytime soon although a few more winters like this one...) I can't
imagine why anyone would need a separate shower when the tub should
work as well but I figured I'd ask about both the asthetics as well as
plumbing considerations.

On the plus side of the proposed arrangement is that there isn't room
in the stall shower for two folks to fit comfortably but there is in a
tub. I don't often get in that situation but it would be nice if it
works out. The downside is that cleaning is likely tougher,
particularly the jets I would think. Someone told me to use water
based soaps since they won't harm the jets which otherwise will need
changing in a few years. I don't forsee any problem with the
additional plumbing needed for the shower part.

One other consideration is that my plan for the sink/cabinet/cat
litter/food area will feature a fan and filter arrangement to trap the
litter dust which otherwise tends to settle on everything. And keep it
all at the bottom of this cabinet and out of the way and sight.

It is likely that the whole bathroom will be gutted since the current
sink is small and the tiles (pinkish orange - where did they get that
color?) are hideous. I won't do the work; I can do small things around
the house but I'm much better with software than hardware. A
contractor will do the work. Money is an issue but I can spend $4000
or so which I think should do the job nicely.

All comments greatly appreciated.