Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Thunderturd

On 17/03/2019 15:44, Clive Page wrote:
On 17/03/2019 12:22, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/03/2019 12:02, Richard wrote:
On 17/03/2019 11:08, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is there as setting on thunderbird that stops you having to expand
threads time and time again?....

Just press the asterisk key.

cool thanks

I knew about the backslash, but not the asterisk.Â* And the latest
Thunderbird doesn't always advance to the next message when you press
the space-bar, so from somewhere in my memory I recalled that n did that
as well.Â* So now I use n every time as it does it reliably, whereas the
space-bar only works sometimes (how I wonder as software is usually
predictable?).Â* Are these things documented somewhere?

That is because space actually scrolls down the message you are
currently reading. Only if it reaches the end of the current message
does it then automatically trigger a move to next message (i.e. what n
does).

Hence the varying behaviour is dictated by the length of the message you
are reading, and the size of the viewing window. If the message is all
visible in the window, space will indeed act like n, but its a side
effect and not what its actually designed to do.

--
Cheers,

John.