Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default F Plugs

On 18/03/2019 14:38, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

On 17/03/2019 17:04, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,

With a new connector, the fault cleared and that feed
performed spledidly. As for the dimembered cable, we found
that when it was being prepped, a small triangulat piece of
the screening foil had somehow been torn off one side.

OOI, was the bit of screen simply missing or was it lost elsewhere in
the connector?

It was over 20 years ago, which makes it difficult to remember
but it might have been folded back on itself - this could
happen, I suppose, if it snagged on the internal tube when it
was inserted.

Hence I remain very fussy about using the correct connector to
match the cable - apart from the prepping, of course.

I have no problem with that - especially in critical installations like
a CATV distribution point...

The distribution point out to the network, actually, so yes,
extremely critical.

However, I don't see that it would have made any difference if
it was on an individual CATV, Freeview, Freesat or Sky feed

On the occasion I first needed to terminate a bit of sky installers
shotgun cable and did not have the small F plugs to hand, it was an
install for a mate who was too cheap to want a proper outlet box fixed
on the wall, and just wanted the end of the downlead from the LNB
connected to the back of the sky box. A slightly less critical
application I would say!

If this was a Sky install, why didn't the installer terminate
the cable and, if it was pure DIY, what on earth was on the
LNB end of the cable?

It was a typical sky install - so no effort spared!

IIRC the owner decided he wanted the cable feed into his AV furniture
more neatly than the installer had done it, and so cut the original
connectors off the end of the cable so he could fit them through a hole.
I can't recall now if they were originally crimped or had been discarded
- but they could not be reused for whatever reason.

I had intended to fit a wall mounted outlet for him and make up some
flyleads for the sat box in normal CT100 style cable, before his
parsimonious nature kicked back in, and asked if I could not just stick
connectors back on the cable ends like before.

I did not look at the dish end of that particular installation.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |