Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Kitchen electrics.

On 17/03/2019 16:00, Graham. wrote:

Kitchen fitter is coming to start work at 0800 tomorrow. Complete
refurb. I am a little concerned about the electrical work he is going
to do, and a couple of mantras he has chanted.

The first one is "Kitchens are like bathrooms under Part P". That's
not been the case for about five years has it?

The other one is "Kitchen ring circuits must be exclusive to the
kitchen". Has that *ever* been the case?

I grant you if you were rewiring the house, you would almost certainly
design it that way, but is there really a hard & fast rule about it?

The issue is three sockets in the adjoining conservatory which are
part of the existing kitchen ring.

Actually he does not know that yet (but will find out tomorrow), he
has indicated to me that he intends to put in a new circuit for the
kitchen sockets regardless.

Making alternative provision for the conservatory sockets will be
challenging, due to concrete floors in the conservatory and the back
half of the kitchen.

Finally, I have run into the same issue with this electrician as last
time, which was partly the reason I didn't go ahead with the project
last time, basically, he wants to put as separate radial circuit for
the new hob or cooker as he does not want to use the existing 6mm 32A
circuit for both.

I discussed my justification for this at the time in this thread.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d...o/IaT72ThJBAAJ

I just want the installation to be fully complient with the regs, no
more!

Why are you using him?

--
Adam