Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ARGH!! can't drill small hole in copper

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 12:11:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 9:57:56 AM UTC-8, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm trying to drill a #60 hole 1/2" deep in copper. So far, I've broke three
drills, and just now, a very small center drill. I've tried 2000, 1000, and
500 rpm. Also extremely, extremely, small pecks. Never made it 1/4" yet. Am
I work hardening the copper? Need a special lubricant? Any suggestions? I
only have two more drills left, so I thought I'd ask before breaking them
all.

--
An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Karl Townsend in beautiful Dassel, Minnesota

STOP GUESSING!
You are wasting everyones's time.
Copper is a soft metal compared to steel.
Clearly you have the wrong tool for the job.
I dont know what the right tool is.
Like everyone here I am looking for the answer and not finding it.
STOP GUESSING!
Let someone who knows answer it instead of adding to the confusion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dril...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Drill needs to be recut as most have the wrong angle on the tip.

See above.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---