Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ARGH!! can't drill small hole in copper

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 9:57:56 AM UTC-8, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm trying to drill a #60 hole 1/2" deep in copper. So far, I've broke three
drills, and just now, a very small center drill. I've tried 2000, 1000, and
500 rpm. Also extremely, extremely, small pecks. Never made it 1/4" yet. Am
I work hardening the copper? Need a special lubricant? Any suggestions? I
only have two more drills left, so I thought I'd ask before breaking them
all.

--
An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Karl Townsend in beautiful Dassel, Minnesota

STOP GUESSING!
You are wasting everyones's time.
Copper is a soft metal compared to steel.
Clearly you have the wrong tool for the job.
I dont know what the right tool is.
Like everyone here I am looking for the answer and not finding it.
STOP GUESSING!
Let someone who knows answer it instead of adding to the confusion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 9:57:56 AM UTC-8, Karl Townsend wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Am I work hardening the copper? Need a special lubricant? Any
suggestions?

STOP GUESSING!

He wasn't guessing. He was asking.

You are wasting everyones's time.

And 17 years later I think time's up on that project.

Like everyone here I am looking for the answer and not finding it.
STOP GUESSING!
Let someone who knows answer it instead of adding to the confusion.

Not confusing at all to bring up conversations from a decade ago.

Elijah
------
gmail didn't even exist when the question was posed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 12:11:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

https://www.google.com/search?q=dril...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Drill needs to be recut as most have the wrong angle on the tip.

See above.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Would a gun drill work?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What is the point angle?

A gun drill has a single flute..it may..may work..but if it cuts too
big a chip..it will load up quickly.

__