Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default F Plugs

In article ,
says...

On 16/03/2019 18:10, Terry Casey wrote:

If you get the wrong one,
they won't fit correctly or likely, at all. So for example, the "normal"
twist on plugs fit ~7mm co-ax, but are too large to fit on the 5mm
"shotgun" style figure eight pair cables. (having said that I have been
able to bodge those by increasing the effective diameter with a few
turns of insulating tape to make up some extra diameter)

I've always respected the wisdom behind your posts until npw
and certainly never thought of you as being a cowboy but
recomending bodging a connection like this for the sake of a
few coppers for the correct connector has destroyed my faith
in you, I'm afraid.

It's a perfectly legitimate thing to do, given that cable diameters vary
so much and are not standardised. I do it and I've never had a problem
with it. You have to use proper tape though with the correct adhesive.

Incidentally, at one time the cable size was indicated on the barrel of
the plug by the number of engraved circles, but that's fallen into disuse.

I'm aware that samples of the same basic type of cable can
have variations in the diameter of the outer sheath, Bill - I
think PF100 is smaller than WF100, for example, but by shotgun
cable I assumed the smaller size cable so we are looking at a
2.9mm inner dielectric passing through a nominal 4.8mm hole.
That is what I object to, Bill.

--

Terry

---