Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Wireless switches for lights - recommendations?

On 16/03/2019 11:47, Roger Hayter wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

I have just rubbed your ****wit nose in the FACT that
zigbee is in fact the protocol that is operating over wifi.

Just to help the discussion along, that sentence is complete gibberish.
Zigbee is a low-level protocol used for wireless links. The high level
information needed to implement the button action is sent as a zigbee
message and the zigbee is decoded and the high level message passed on
to a NIC in the receiver which sends the same message to the LAN
(perhaps, from what you say) but no way at all is *zigbee* operating
over Wifi. In fact if the zigbee receiver is plugged in then the
higher-level message never sees wifi, it goes straight into an ethernet
packet.

I concur with everything you say. Zigbee is designed primarily for
battery powered low data rate applications. It is one of the few
standards that includes the radio hardware.

The only time I have come across Zigbee in my work has been in utility
meters where a gas meter could talk to an electric meter which of course
has the power to retransmit over GSM etc.