Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default My second Plusnet bill

wrote in message
On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 10:10:10 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

I book the ferry and ALL my hotels on Booking.com BEFORE I set off

And you'd be ****ed if one of them comes unstuck and would
have to waddle around towing your immense box on wheels
to find a new one., With a mobile you can do it trivially.

This DID happen in 2016 when the border Romania-Moldova
was VERY slow and so I binned the already 3 days booked hotel
in Chisinau and decided to go to Brasov instead. I drove to a
MOL garage in Iasi, bought a coffee and used my laptop and
their WiFi to cancel the Moldovan hotel booking.

And if you had had enough of a clue to have a mobile,
you could have avoided farting around like that.

I did it myself, planned to drive into Sydney, catch the
train back because the kids were paying for the train.
Missed the train by minutes, next one was the same
time next day.

In 2016, I went on the ferry and train to Dortmund Xmas market.
I printed out my tickets at home for the train and booked the NH
hotel as well. On the way back, I was trying out my Iridium phone
by ringing my daughter at home and missed the train out of
Dortmund as a result.

I whipped out my Acer Aspire notebook, accessed
the cloud and found the next train out of there.

Pity about the immense box on wheels you had
to tow around everywhere to be able to do that.

On the train itself,

Pity about before the new train showed up.

it was most amusing to see a gaggle of chav Man Citeh fans
try and use their chav phones in the quiet carriage I had chosen.

Worked fine for me.

I could access the DB WiFi though as I could understand German

Dont need to with a decent smartphone. Chrome translates
anything except Dave the Sot's gobbledegook.

and bought a DBahn access ticket for the day :-).