Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mending ceramics

Chris Bartram formulated on Thursday :
On 14/03/2019 17:52, TimW wrote:
I have knocked over a vase. It was cracked top to bottom and has now come
cleanly apart into two large pieces and one small triangle. They dry fit
nicely back together so I am going to attempt to glue them back how they
were.

Is superglue the way? Any tips? the white clay is 5mm wide and looks quite
porous. If I do the little piece first I will then have a broken edge of
about 750mm length to bond. Is it glue one side only and quickly position?
I am thinking rubber bands might hold it together. Is that what
professionals do? How do I clean off any smears or drips?

TW

I'd use araldite and masking tape, personally. Superglue not so hot on
pourous stuff.

I did wonder if it is not to hold water, if superglue might be enough?
I have used it and it worked fine.

I thought - put the pieces together, held with an elastic band(s) so
the edges are tight, then dribble the superglue along the joint. It
will be pulled into the crack, so not so obvious as Araldite. Surplus
should rub of with the likes of a pan scrub, once set up.