Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 13:57:20 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 13:49:29 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 13:27:27 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

One of the engineers at GEC made up some plugs that would pass a PAT
tester but they were so dangerous we banned him from touching anything
electrical.
He stripped about 1 1/2 inches of insulation off each core and screwed
the end into the terminals, we found it after fuses started to blow if
you moved the flex a bit on some he hadn't tightened the strain relief
enough.

When we first started PAT testing I had to unscrew the tops off any none moulded plug for such things checks and change the fuse from 13amp to 5 amp or 3 amp.
Any plug without shrouded pins was removed and replaced.
I had a box of 100s of 13amp fuses at the end, probbly still have them somewhere.
Then the lead was PAT tested using the PAT testing machine.

Modern appliances are all safe on a 13A fuse. Old ones not always.

But the fuse is to protect the cable not the appliance.
I have 100s of IEC cables in the lab, which almost all have a 3 amp fuse.

NT