Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default PAT

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 12/03/2019 03:57, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Like yourself though, they all knew everything there was to know
about the subject even before they did the course.

Your sarcasm fails because actually I do know everything necessary
to check the safety of a mains extension lead. As do many people.

Unfortunately for technical pseudo-elitists it really isn't rocket
science.

Are you saying you've never come across such a thing miss wired,
Bill? In the days when people made up their own extension leads?

I've seen plugs where the brown went to earth. After all brown is
closer to the colour of earth than green.

Yes I've seen many such things. Very easy to detect. Like I said, not
rocket science.

Sadly it may as well be rocket science to many. Hence the need to test
things.

Long before the days of PAT, every single bit of electrical equipment
brought into a TV studio (unless from an approved supplier) had to be
tested by a qualified person. Especially true of things like electric
guitars and so on. Through bitter experience. And even after, was usually
fed via an individual isolating transformer. And a TV studio in this
respect is not so different to a church hall.

In our amateur theatre, I failed an extension lead brought in by a guest
speaker - simply on a visual inspection.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England