Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:43:29 +0000, newshound wrote:

Both excellent ideas. I think I am right in thinking that PAT testing
isn't legally required on kit less than a year old? (So keep the
receipt).

New kit is accepted as being "safe" for a period of time but I don't
think there is any fixed PAT interval. Most of PATing is
visual/common sense, the "plug in a box and press a button:
[pass/fail]" just catches hidden miss-wiring (moulded plugs...) etc.

The interval really demends on the kit and it's use. I'd say 12
months is too long for an extension lead used by all a sundry several
times a day. Generally people haven't a clue how to
coil/uncoil/layout/plug/unplug things and an extension used in such
an enviroment will take a hammering. Mnay people are also happy to
use obviously damaged cables/plugs and/or not report such things to
the owner.

A bit of kit carefully and properly installed into a rack and not
disturbed again, 5 years would be acceptable.

In this case I'd say the guest speaker is trying to avoid having to
use a lead that may be "unsafe". So why doen't they bring their own,
known "safe" lead? Presumably her projector etc is PATed (if not why
not if it's being used in a "public" place?), so why not have their
extension checked when they have that checked?

--
Cheers
Dave.