Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default size SWA to garage 30m away

On Saturday, 9 March 2019 12:14:33 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/03/2019 08:45, harry wrote:
On Friday, 8 March 2019 11:50:31 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/03/2019 19:04, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 17 February 2019 11:44:34 UTC, wrote:
Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need charging overnight....

I have been informed that my 80a cutout is only sufficient for charging 1 vehicle. If I want to charge two vehicles overnight, I have to have the cutout upgraded to 100a and possibly the service Cable to the cutout......

So a detached garage having a 3 core 25mm2 SWA cable does not now seem excessive to put in while the trench is still open instead of that 6mm2 or 10mm2 SWA cable.....

Overnight EV charging is very low current.
My EV charger is only 10 Amps.

That's because you have car with the battery capacity comparable to a
bulk pack of AAs from Poundland.

Most dedicated chargers (i.e. hard wired rather than plug in) will draw 6kW.

A Tesla with its more practical 130kWh battery would take more than two
and a half full days to charge at the charge rate delivered with your
charger.

How many people here will be buying a Tesla?

In the future? I don't know, and neither do you. However the point
stands, that before EVs can become mainstream, they need more battery
capacity. Something that can do a real 250+ miles in all weathers and
conditions is going to be a realistic minimum for most buyers.

How many people people will run it to depletion?

Very few - which increases the required capacity.

The answer is none of them.

Logic is not your thing is it?

Most will run it nowhere near depletion.

And hence will need larger rather than smaller batteries, unless you
also have a plan to move the places they frequent closer together?

95% of people use their EV for commuting and will be able to charge their car overnight from a 13a socket.

Yup they can charge it - a little bit.

EVs mostly have batteries of 25Kwh or less.

The older toy ones yes. Newer models are getting a bit more practical:

2018 Tesla Model S 100D €“ 100 kWh.
2018 Tesla Model X 100D €“ 100 kWh.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range €“ 80.5 kWh.
2018 Chevy Bolt €“ 60 kWh.
2018 Nissan LEAF €“ 40 kWh.
2017 Volkswagen e-Golf €“ 35.8 kWh.
2018 Ford Focus Electric €“ 33.5 kWh.

And most of those could use significantly more...

You really are a ****e for brains.

From you, I take that as a compliment.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ric-cars-study

The trouble with bigger batteries is cost and added wieght/reduced performance..

Also there has been problems with battery degradation with the new batteries,