Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Non-Metalic Wire?

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 08:47:19 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 3/8/2019 10:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Electric power plants use pure, distilled, H2O to cool their generators.
*If that water conducted electricity, it would short out the generators.

At least, that's what my electrical engineer buddy who works for the 3rd
largest power supplier in the US tells me.

While air, water and oil all have been (and still are in some cases)
used for cooling, modern large power generators use H gas for generator
cooling since its comparable low density, high specific heat and thermal
conductivity allows a significant improvement in efficiency and
commensurate reduction in size/expense.

Hydrogen sounds really dangerous around a generator (unless it's used
as the fuel also). He is used as a coolant and, like water, won't go
boom. He is as non-reactive as you can get.