Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Non-Metalic Wire?

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work.Â* What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The
casing is not wire...

I believe the Non-Metallic (NM) means the sheathing is made of plastic,
not metal.
There are times when it's required to have metal-sheathed wire and times
when you can use Romex, non-metallic sheathed wire.

So that's the designation. MC for metal clad, and NM for non-metallic.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:03:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

The product category is under

" non metallic jacket wire "

shortened to " non metallic wire "

in the product page - just to confuse people ..

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

NM is the typical NEC abbreviation for Romex(brand)-style cabling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 12:03:28 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

See he

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/nm...-armored-cable

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does
it work.Â* What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The
casing is not wire...

I believe the Non-Metallic (NM) means the sheathing is made of plastic,
not metal.
There are times when it's required to have metal-sheathed wire and times
when you can use Romex, non-metallic sheathed wire.

So that's the designation.Â* MC for metal clad, and NM for non-metallic.

Understood but it specifically says non metallic "wire". And I do not
ever recall Romex ever being called metallic or non metallic.

Probably another situation where those persons naming parts or
describing something have no idea what the meaning of words are.

Functionality, never needed to replace the word function. And for that
matter, "almost any word that has had "ality" added in the last 10~12 years.

Utilize, never needed to replace the word use.

And while I am on the soap box, When did the word button start being
pronounced but-in. Garden, now pronounced gar-din.

Classic example of school no longer teaching students how to read the
dictionary.

All future left voters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:32 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:03:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

The product category is under

" non metallic jacket wire"

shortened to " non metallic wire "

in the product page - just to confuse people ..

John T.

Yeah, another example would be 2x4.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:25:44 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does
it work.Â* What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The
casing is not wire...

I believe the Non-Metallic (NM) means the sheathing is made of plastic,
not metal.
There are times when it's required to have metal-sheathed wire and times
when you can use Romex, non-metallic sheathed wire.

So that's the designation.Â* MC for metal clad, and NM for non-metallic.

Understood but it specifically says non metallic "wire". And I do not
ever recall Romex ever being called metallic or non metallic.

It's not uncommon, assuming that you accept that by referring to something
by using the initials NM, it is being referred to as non-metallic.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-does-...m-mean-1821530

"Romex® is the specific brand name for a non-metallic (NM) building wire
made by Southwire. In other words, Romex® is technically just one brand
of NM cable. However, the term Romex is often used generically (though
inaccurately) to describe any type of NM cable, no matter which manufacturer
made it."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 11:03:28 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

Under description " Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper "
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does
it work.Â* What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The
casing is not wire...

I believe the Non-Metallic (NM) means the sheathing is made of plastic,
not metal.
There are times when it's required to have metal-sheathed wire and times
when you can use Romex, non-metallic sheathed wire.

So that's the designation.Â* MC for metal clad, and NM for non-metallic.

Understood but it specifically says non metallic "wire". And I do not
ever recall Romex ever being called metallic or non metallic.

Interesting story (at least to me) about NM wire.

I'm sure that most of us are familiar with the "cloth covered" NM wiring in
older homes. You know, same concept as Romex, except that all the sheathing
is cloth, not plastic. Well...

My godparents lived on Narragansett Blvd in Chicopee MA. (be sure to remember
the name of that street) Their house was where I learned about knob-and-tube
wiring as a teenager. I helped my godfather pull some new wires through the
K&T fixtures. It was my first experience with house wiring.

Fast forward a decade or so when I was about to buy my first house, a house
located in western NY. While visiting my godparents they handed me a wad of
cash to help with the down-payment.

So, I move in and I'm getting ready to do some wiring work on my own house.
A house that some nice folks that lived on Narragansett Blvd helped me buy.
Narragansett Blvd, where I had my very first experience with house wiring.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the cloth covered NM wiring and noticed
the name "Narragansett Wire Company" printed on the sheathing!

That was a very spooky feeling!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?
https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433
What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

The product category is " non metallic jacket wire"
shortened to " non metallic wire " in the product page.
John T.

Yeah, another example would be 2x4.

.. if you say so ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:03:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

Yes it is still a copper conductor, it is the sheathing compared to
armored cable which the description is also confuusing because it say
aluminum and the conductors are copper.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 12:25:28 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Another word peeve with = wid?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem writes:
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 12:25:28 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And while I am on the soap box, When did the word button start being
pronounced but-in. Garden, now pronounced gar-din.

Classic example of school no longer teaching students how to read the
dictionary.

Classic example of geographical variation, y'all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 12:27:15 -0600, Leon wrote:

Yeah, another example would be 2x4.

In my carpenter apprentice classes, it's neither 2 nor 4 but 38 x 89.
Shocked me to learn that the blade of my skill saw is 89mm from the edge
of the sole plate: it's been aqn inch and a half since Pontius was a
pilot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:03:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it
work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The
casing is not wire...

It is non metallic sheathed cable by definiution - has copper
conductors. What do you expect af a big box store's description of
technical products???
Posted to rec.woodworking

gray_wolf wrote:

Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?

Graphite https://www.youtube.com/embed/s9eE2jFoioM?autoplay=1&rel=0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I thought it was the inbread homeschooled backwoods southern
repugnicans who couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. Those
and the sons of rich new york mobsters that run for president as a way
to "improve their brand"

In other word - current "right" voters (or at least TRUMP voters) and
Trump offspring
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

"Romex" is not wire - it is CABLE. A "wire" is a single conductor

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The original "romex" WAS the tar/paper/fabrick covered stuff.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Air (at high enough voltages)

Ever heard of lightening?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Air (at high enough voltages)

Ever heard of lightening?

Without the "e"? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

"tar/paper/fabrick covered stuff" was branded under other names, as
is the plastic covered stuff sold today.

The Narragansett Wire Company did not make "Romex".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Air (at high enough voltages)

Ever heard of lightening?

Without the "e"? ;-)

concrete, leather, fabric. . . damn near anything if the moisture
content and voltage are high enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 20:00:46 -0600, gray_wolf
wrote:

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?* Are they actually talking about the casing?* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

graphite isn't bad - then there are conductive gasses and PLASMA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?* Are they actually talking about the casing?* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Wate

actually, PURE water is a pretty lousy conductor - it is disolved
mineral salts that make it a reasonable conductor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

My dad was an electrician and pulled miles of ROMEX Long before the
plastic stuff came out. Invented and trademarked in 1922 by the Rome
Wire Co in Rome New York. First described in the NEC of 1926.

Rome Wire became General Cable which was bought out by southwire in
2001 (sept 5, to be exact).

Narragansett cable produced a "eomex" style cabble under the name
NARAX.

The original "fabric" romex type cable was in common use up until
aproxemately 1975 when the price of the plastic insulated pruduct
became competetive (available from the mid-sixties) The original
romex used eubber insulated wire, with thermoplastic becoming common
in the mid fifties.

Dad came home blacker from his electrical work in the early years than
he did from the iron foundry where he fed the Bessemer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 21:48:27 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:

I thought it was the inbread homeschooled backwoods southern
repugnicans who couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. Those and
the sons of rich new york mobsters that run for president as a way to
"improve their brand"

In other word - current "right" voters (or at least TRUMP voters) and
Trump offspring

Looks like time to update the killfile: this kind of snide ad hominem
bull**** is a complete waste of time, and totally out of place in an
exchange of ideas and experience of woodworking.

Colin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/19 8:42 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
gray_wolf wrote:

Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?

Graphite https://www.youtube.com/embed/s9eE2jFoioM?autoplay=1&rel=0

We used to draw out DC circuits in pencil to test them out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Water

Since we're talking science.
To the best of my knowledge, technically, water will not conduct
electricity.
That is, pure H2O. Tap water, like in a tub when someone drops the hair
dryer in it before the advent of GFI circuits, would obviously conduct
electricity and electrocute the poor soul in the tub.
However, it's not the water that is passing the electrons. It's the
minerals in the tap water.
Electric power plants use pure, distilled, H2O to cool their generators.
If that water conducted electricity, it would short out the generators.

At least, that's what my electrical engineer buddy who works for the 3rd
largest power supplier in the US tells me.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

So, basically, you just used a lot more words to say exactly what I said.

Romex is brand name.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Sure *pure* water doesn't conduct electricity. However, I'm pretty sure that
it's a rare case that any of us are going to be near non-conductive water
and electricity at the same time. If I see water, I'm going to assume that
it will conduct. It's safer that way. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-5, Colin Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 21:48:27 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:

I thought it was the inbread homeschooled backwoods southern
repugnicans who couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. Those and
the sons of rich new york mobsters that run for president as a way to
"improve their brand"

In other word - current "right" voters (or at least TRUMP voters) and
Trump offspring

Looks like time to update the killfile: this kind of snide ad hominem
bull**** is a complete waste of time, and totally out of place in an
exchange of ideas and experience of woodworking.

Colin

I assume that you are going to killfile those on both sides of that
conversation, right? You seemed to have snipped the original comment
that prompted that response. Wouldn't it be hypocritical to killfile
one, but not the other?

Hmmm...come to think of it, this entire thread is totally out of place
in an exchange of ideas and experience of woodworking. Your killfile
is going to wipe out more than a couple of the few people left that
actually discuss woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

He said water. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Clare Snyder wrote:

I thought it was the inbread homeschooled backwoods southern
repugnicans who couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. Those
and the sons of rich new york mobsters that run for president as a way
to "improve their brand"

In other word - current "right" voters (or at least TRUMP voters) and
Trump offspring

https://i.imgur.com/ikbFXCw.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2019 10:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Electric power plants use pure, distilled, H2O to cool their generators.
Â*If that water conducted electricity, it would short out the generators.

At least, that's what my electrical engineer buddy who works for the 3rd
largest power supplier in the US tells me.

While air, water and oil all have been (and still are in some cases)
used for cooling, modern large power generators use H gas for generator
cooling since its comparable low density, high specific heat and thermal
conductivity allows a significant improvement in efficiency and
commensurate reduction in size/expense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

concrete, leather, fabric. . . damn near anything if the moisture
content and voltage are high enough.

In which case it is the ionized material that is the conductor...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 08:47:19 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 3/8/2019 10:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Electric power plants use pure, distilled, H2O to cool their generators.
*If that water conducted electricity, it would short out the generators.

At least, that's what my electrical engineer buddy who works for the 3rd
largest power supplier in the US tells me.

While air, water and oil all have been (and still are in some cases)
used for cooling, modern large power generators use H gas for generator
cooling since its comparable low density, high specific heat and thermal
conductivity allows a significant improvement in efficiency and
commensurate reduction in size/expense.

Hydrogen sounds really dangerous around a generator (unless it's used
as the fuel also). He is used as a coolant and, like water, won't go
boom. He is as non-reactive as you can get.