Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Non-Metalic Wire?

On 3/8/19 10:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 11:03:05 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/8/19 8:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 9:00:49 PM UTC-5, gray_wolf wrote:
On 3/8/2019 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work.
What is it made out of to deliver electricity?

https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Sout...e-Roll/1193433

What am I missing?Â* Are they actually talking about the casing?Â* The casing is
not wire...

Apparently they are talking about the casing. Down at the bottom of the page
they say Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Poorly written ad.
Can anyone here name a non-metallic material that a good conductor of electricity?
Who educates these people?

Water

Since we're talking science.
To the best of my knowledge, technically, water will not conduct
electricity.
That is, pure H2O. Tap water, like in a tub when someone drops the hair
dryer in it before the advent of GFI circuits, would obviously conduct
electricity and electrocute the poor soul in the tub.
However, it's not the water that is passing the electrons. It's the
minerals in the tap water.
Electric power plants use pure, distilled, H2O to cool their generators.
If that water conducted electricity, it would short out the generators.

At least, that's what my electrical engineer buddy who works for the 3rd
largest power supplier in the US tells me.

Sure *pure* water doesn't conduct electricity. However, I'm pretty sure that
it's a rare case that any of us are going to be near non-conductive water
and electricity at the same time. If I see water, I'm going to assume that
it will conduct. It's safer that way. ;-)

He said water. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)