Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RS items Frequently bought together

On 05/03/19 19:54, The Other Mike wrote:
On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 17:06:26 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 05/03/19 14:46, The Other Mike wrote:
On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 03:41:34 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

I dounbt I'd buy that drill bit, I'm usually buying bits of less than 4mm D and less than a couple of quid each.

You won't get a carbide tipped engineering drill of that size listed much
cheaper than RS.

For instance

https://www.drill-service.co.uk/prod...-drill-jobber/

I'm not clear on what we are comparing here. Maybe it's just the
description that RS is using. The Drill-Service bits appear to me to be
/solid/ tungsten carbide (linked from
https://www.drill-service.co.uk/products/drills/carbide-drills/). The
RS ones are HSS with a carbide tip (as stated at
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/twist-drill-bits/3865298/ and shown in
the photo on that page). Or have I got that wrong?

It was my bad choice of link

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutt...etric-/f/68086

That's an even worse link! It has an immediate popup:

"We suggest upgrading to Chrome to enjoy all the features of this site.
Please download the latest version of Chrome"

Yuk...

Exact same Dormer A160 drill, similar price

For a tipped drill those are indeed relatively expensive compared to solid
carbide from the likes of Guhring, Kyocera and Dormer. (circa 30 quid list for
a 6mm drill)

Agreed, although solid carbide can be very brittle. I just can't see
what makes those TCT drills that "special" - see tabbypurr's reply.

--

Jeff