Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Scratchy volume control.

"** The name is WD40 - not WMD40. *

You claimed it was the same as LPS2, IT IS NOT. First of all if it smells different it is different. Also, LPS2 is electrically inert and stays that way. Not with WD40. I been to many shops, WD40 would throw the alignment off on TV tuners, you know the old type. I told them not to use it, use LPS2. Now the alignment would not drift.

When more than a very sparing amount of LPS2 is used I rinse it off with a mild solvent. It may remain electrically inert but the dust that it collects maybe not. Even if there are not say carbon particles in the environment, even dander and other types of dust, even though they MIGHT be electrically inert, they won't be when the humidity is high. If it is dander you can be sure there is is/are salt(s) in it. Much dust is dander.