Mercantile wrote:
On 2/27/19 6:36 PM, Peter Jason wrote:

I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of
it.

....er, what can I use as a replacement lubricant?

I don't know if it's still around, but in the old days we used to be able to buy a silicone solution to refill the eject pistons in cassette players. You can also use Vaseline. To do so though means taking the control out, taking it apart, and lightly covering all moving surfaces.

Back in the late 70s, I was working on a Sony Trinitron that had no color - zip. I got out the old Sams and traced the lost chroma to the color control. It was arranged like a volume control. No matter how the control was manipulated, there was no sign of color. Throwing a jumper across it restored the chroma. For ****s & Giggles, I flushed the control with Tun'O Lube (a clear, oiless cleaner for degreasing tuners without ****ing off the neutralizing trim in RCA mechanical tuners). To my surprise, the color popped back and adjusted normally throughout the range. The only problem was that I had washed out the spooze that Sony filled their controls with to make them feel like they were of high quality and had a heft and weight to them.. The customer returned the TV a couple of days later because he didn't like how the control had craploads of endplay and almost no drag as it was rotated. We ordered a new control from Sony to make the guy happy.

I have a built-in cassette player in my 1998 car.
The player froze up long ago and given all the
advice here it may be possible to resurrect it. Do
these devices have rubber pulleys?

Rubber belts tends to have disintegrated, less often rubber pulleys too. Cheap stationery rubber bands are often good enough, but not always.

NT