Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do bear in mind that the quality of light from a dimmed LED is
completely different from a tungsten bulb. They don't get
"warmer" as they dim.

They can do with the best designs like the Philips Hues.

No like some users they just get dimmer. You can change the colour of
the light though

I didn't know you could make the light get redder as it gets dimmer.

It can be done with IFTTT but most of the time its actually better
to have some scenes with a brightness and color temperature
thats appropriate so you can name those and tell siri to use those
as appropriate, or have them set by time of day or by a particular
button on the batteryless remote switch. Using the white ambience
bulbs that can set any color temp and intensity you like.

Obviously anything is possible because it's all under software control,
but I didn't know the software (eg the Android app) for Philips Hue bulbs
could be programmed to change the colour.

Yes they can and there are lots of apps that do more than the Philips one
too.

I can't say I've been too worried that the light doesn't get redder as it
dims, like a tungsten bulb does. I have a variety of colours according to
mood etc (white for reading during the day to supplement daylight, warm
white for reading in the evening, "tropical sunset" for reading near
bedtime when I want to cut out blue light. Having set the colour, I just
then change the brightness as required. But it's nice to know that
redder-as-it-dims (to mimic tungsten) is possible if the need should ever
arise.

I used to hate the warm white that I got with the original starter kit
and put those where it didnt matter like the least used rooms and
the bedroom, I dont read in bed anymore. But now I dont even
notice the color temp in those rooms anymore.

One thing that I'm always surprised at with LED bulbs used as room lights
is how bright the dimmest setting is - it's probably too bright to use as
a night light so you can see your way to the loo at night without the
light keeping you awake as you try to get to sleep.

Thats not true of the Hue bulbs.

Given that LEDs are usually dimmed by altering the mark:space ratio of a
constant-frequency square wave, so the light is turned on for a
progressively shorter proportion of each cycler,

Thats not true of all dimmers.

it should be possible to turn the LED on for less time to make it even
dimmer than the present dimmest setting.

I've always wondered how TV studios manage to dim the lights so faint
objects are visible (Tomorrow's World: "we'll just dim the studio lights
so you can see this oscilloscope trace") without them going red. I know
they leave a few lights on full brightness and kill the majority, so there
aren't any lamps on partial brightness, but even so, I'd have thought that
as they are dimming "the majority" you'd see them go a reddish orange.

Likely the Dave that used to work for the BBC and ITV knows what they did.

I thought they did it with denser filters rather than electronic dimming.